Home Improvement/Business Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyrothrillah

In Runtime
Last week I obtained two requests for painting houses. One of which was the typical "hundred bucks a day" job, and the second is looking for an estimate. And I am looking to pick up more work possibly, but I am just one man doing menial jobs so to speak for some extra money.

What I'm wanting to know is how should I go about pricing something of the sort. The materials are going to be purchased at the customers expense and from what I know is that a lot of home construction projects like this are typically 80% labor costs -- which will be the estimate I need.

The house is on a river and approximately on 10ft legs which will require being on scaffolding to roll the paint. The house is approx. 20x20ft with around 8 foot ceilings peaking to probably 12 ft in center. I will be doing all the cutting, taping, and preparation to the house except pressure washing.

I want to be fair with the pricing and proceed as any professional would. I'm here to make money, but not make enemies.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

(Also, I have considered calling other painters in the area to see about getting a ballparks over-the-phone estimate of the exterior painting of the house. Not sure if it would be exactly "ethic" to do so.)

My dad used to get $350 in, $350 out. But that was a ways back, early-mid 80's. He always told people that he could charge by the hour and make as much as he wnted or he could charge by the job and get in and get out. He always had the customer provide the paint and any other materials needed, but he used his own brushes, rollers, frames, drop clothes, etc.

Calling some other painters is a good idea, actually. At least you would know what the going rate is for your area.

Cost of living has went rather stupid to say the least in the 30 +/- years since the 80's. I was offered to be charged by the hour for the job, and I think painters generally get 25 here, but my words matched the same as your fathers when I explained I can stay here all week or do it by the job.

Will definitely be calling some painters in the morning. I've considered running a home repair/heating and cooling type business with a close friend since we both have a lot of down time in-between our current work. "Takes money to make money" of course.

If you plan on getting serious about it, consider looking into paint sprayers, especially if your doing it by the job, much faster, and more "even". But one thing is, you need to remove the old paint, which will be time consuming. I know people that don't remove the old paint, and under that is several layers, the end result is cracked paint after a few months.

From what I understand the removal of paint is only required if the old paint is cracking and shows sign of wear. I plan on in the near future getting an air-based paint sprayer to save time painting and putting more time in to prep work.

From what I understand the removal of paint is only required if the old paint is cracking and shows sign of wear. I plan on in the near future getting an air-based paint sprayer to save time painting and putting more time in to prep work.

Pressure washing would prep the area well and knock off any old, loose paint. you would have to sand around anything that the pressure wash knocked off but that would be it. I have scraped the sides of many a house with my dad way back when.

If you are going to be serious about this look into an airless sprayer. My dad had a big one and a small one. The big one used an external pot and could run four guns from it; the small one sat over a five gallon bucket and ran one gun. It is a much better setup than using a compressor and paint guns.

Also, I don't know if you are doing this or not but my dad kept his own brushes and rollers. He had brushes for latex and brushes for oil. he bought high dollar hair brushes and kept them meticulously clean- they last for years if you maintain them. The same went for his roller frames and naps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom