hacker school

Status
Not open for further replies.
mrdinkel said:
When it comes down to it, I think that the fact people forget their passwords, don't back up data is a way that some of us make money.

One person had like 1000-2000 pictures from a wedding and a vast amount of .mp3's on a HDD and was locked out by W2k. I got into linux, copied it over, rebuilt, and made about $100 on the deal. It was pretty nice.

$100 US DOLLARS!!! DAMN I am under charging my customers when they do that.

I normally do the same job for AU$120

Mind you I make sure that the customer pays upfront for my services on this. (As it take my about 5 to 15 minutes worth of work)

I have found that data recovery from floppy drives of a High School Year 12 Major Assignment can be worth up to AU$500.

thats a bit harsh, I wouldnt charge much to get someones major assignment, especially if its for thier HSC off a floppy.

Wayne

waynejkruse10 said:
thats a bit harsh, I wouldnt charge much to get someones major assignment, especially if its for thier HSC off a floppy.

Wayne

I spend about 10 hours trying to get that document off.

Besides, if they are so friggen smart with computers then....
1. They should try recovering it themselves.
2. They should remember to not rely on just 1 floppy disk for their major assignemtns.
3. They should not be using their computer during a thunder storm.
4. They offered the $500 to me provided that I can recover the assignment. (which I did)

5. FINALLY, I view my job as a computer techie no different to a plumber or an electrician. It's a plumber can charge about $120 to fix up a drain pipe as some one with a 6-inch @$$ hole can not $#!+ down a 5-inch pipe, then why does every one have this attitude about computer techie's rates when some one screws up there computer system by having a virus, spyware or just sheer stupidity.

In this industry, people treat me like I am a plumber, so why can't I charge like a plumber. I still need to put food on the table like every one else.

Try running your own computer business at your school yard / collage campus rates some time.

whoa, calm down :eek:

Try running your own computer business at your school yard / collage campus rates some time.

I actually do that, but not so literally. Friends of mine do buy computer components off me but i dont make a profit, i just dont need them anymore.

Imagine if you were in that guy's situation.....

waynejkruse10 said:
I actually do that, but not so literally. Friends of mine do buy computer components off me but i dont make a profit, i just dont need them anymore.

Imagine if you were in that guy's situation.....

Because they are used parts. I would not be paying full price for some thing that was used too. And nor to I sell used items at full price either.

It's unethical.

i sell parts off that cost me, i give parts away that i got for free (only if im not using them)

wtf was with that first post?:eek:

Actually, she PAID me $100. I would have settled for about $40-50. My time is still valuable, to an extent.

Part of it was that she bought a gaming rig from this one guy because the guy needed money, and with the security this dude put on it, I couldn't do crap in windows, fiddled around for an hr in Windows. Then i had to locate a new build of Windows, because I couldn't even open the Security Policy.

Actually, she PAID me $100. I would have settled for about $40-50. My time is still valuable, to an extent.

Part of it was that she bought a gaming rig from this one guy because the guy needed money, and with the security this dude put on it, I couldn't do crap in windows, fiddled around for an hr in Windows. Then i had to locate a new build of Windows, because I couldn't even open the Security Policy.

Thats understandable but i dont see $500 for getting a document off a Floppy.

waynejkruse10 said:
Thats understandable but i dont see $500 for getting a document off a Floppy.
3 things....
1. She offered the $500 to me

2. My computer consultantcy firm is not a charity organisation. I don't understand people's attitudes where they will gladly pay every one trade person's rip off prices, but not techies.

3. Harper's New Master Card Ad

1x 1.44Mb Floppy Disk....... $0.50
1x 1.44Mb Floppy Disk Drive....... $15.00
1x You Data That You Think You Have Safe On 1 Floppy Disk....... PRICELESS!

Don't mean to sound like a broken record here, but She offered the $500 to me. SO EXCUSE ME for trying to put food on my table.

Like is the IT industry that much of a worthless trade?

I should of been a plumber or a sparky instead. I get more respect for making money in that trade.

...well least u get paid well harper! and.. umm we respect u sometimes :) but hey short work not bad money... so i wouldn't complain and besides we like u on here (that referring to the post in OT bout amins or mods i forgot)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom