General Trivia Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikesgroovin

HONK if you route packets
Ok, I'm still compiling a list of questions for a later compilation within different sections here on the forums. I thought that I might get you all a little warmed up.

I know that the Subject states "Trivia" but this is more of a brain teaser. I feel that brain teasers coupled with general trivia (food, movies, etc) is a good match for the Off-Topic section.

So here it goes:

Situation: It's 11pm in upstate New York. You are inside of a house, in the foyer, on the ground level. To your right there is a set of stairs going up. To your left is a set of three (3) light switches. Each switch controls only one (1) light. All of the switches control different lights. All three (3) lights are located in the same room up the stairs (the same set of stairs to your right), and all the way down the hall. The room in which the lights are located is behind a closed door and not visible from the bottom of the steps. The room also contains no windows. There is a disposable camera by your feet, about an inch away from the steps.

Your goal: You must find out which light switch controls which light.

Stipulations: The stipulations are follows:

1) You MAY ONLY travel up the stairs one (1) time.

2) You are the LAST person on Earth and there are no such things as cell phones

3) You must do this on your own :)

Please use this thread as an open discussion for your answer(s).
I am at the airport about to hop on a plane...hopefully some of you will have it by the time the flight is over.

GOOD LUCK! ;) :p

well I would call my friend over, go up in the room, call him on his cell while he flips light switches. there was no stipulation that I had to do it by myself. but there should be.

hefemeister said:
well I would call my friend over, go up in the room, call him on his cell while he flips light switches. there was no stipulation that I had to do it by myself. but there should be.

I'm a sucker for detail :) Fair enough :p

Turn on two of the switches. Leave them on for a few minutes. Turn off one of them. Go upstairs. There will be one light that's on and two lights that are off. Feel the lightbulbs, one of the lights that's off will be hot. That was the other switch you had on.

bradybnmci said:
Turn on two of the switches. Leave them on for a few minutes. Turn off one of them. Go upstairs. There will be one light that's on and two lights that are off. Feel the lightbulbs, one of the lights that's off will be hot. That was the other switch you had on.

Great job man :)

I've done this one before, although it wasn't in a house in New York.
I didn't answer cause I wanted others to try it.

Is there a next? Does brandi get to post one? or are you going to keep posting them Mike?

k here is one. i dont believe anyone has gotten this one the last time i posted it

you are walking in the amazon, and see a red bug on a green leaf. then u are captured by cannibals. the cannibals tell you that you can make a last statement. if the statement is true, you will be boiled in a pot to death, and if its false u will be burned at the stake. what do u tell them that gets you out of there, scot free.

No, the New York thing and the camera were just there to frustrate people. :)

Anyone can post here, I don't care. The general trivia format is going to be a bit different from the rest. Just trying to gain a level of interest.

john3 said:
k here is one. i dont believe anyone has gotten this one the last time i posted it

you are walking in the amazon, and see a red bug on a green leaf. then u are captured by cannibals. the cannibals tell you that you can make a last statement. if the statement is true, you will be boiled in a pot to death, and if its false u will be burned at the stake. what do u tell them that gets you out of there, scot free.

Thats interesting. I'll give it a shot once I get about 5 minutes alone with my ice cream...just got home and am getting a second wind.

Ok, well I made it about 1/2 way down the steps to the freezer.
I only thought of this because of another riddle that I've been asking people/friends for years.....but here is my guess:

"To say that I will be boiled in a pot of death is false, and to say that I will be burned at the stake is true"

Hmmm, thats the best that I could come up with anyway.....but it makes sense to me....

Off to my mint chocolate chip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom