Faster?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Diesel is a type of fuel, not gas.

It doesnt combust with ignition, but rather with compression. Diesel engines dont have spark plugs like gasoline engines do.

Diesel also has more power density, which means that per amount of volume, it contains more potential power.

Diesel engines provide much more torque then gasoline engines normally do. But it also provides less horsepower than gasoline engines. It is typical to see gasoline engine with a horsepower to torque ratio of about 1:1 or >1:1. The opposite occurs for torque engines. Large semi truck engines can produce around 450 hp while producing over 1000 ft lbs of torque.

The reason that trucks need such torque is because of the loads they carry. High torque is needed to start the pulling of the load.

As for which is faster: Gasoline is much faster for cars and light trucks. Pretty much anything that doesnt require a large load to be hauled.

For heavy trucks and other equipment, diesel would be much faster because a gasoline engine would have a hard time providing enough torque to actually get the vehicle moving.

the only big difference on diesel and gasoline is that diesel doesn't use a spark plug and gasoline does. Its a little more complicated than that but thats the general idea. BTW they both come from Crude Oil

-Aaron

anyone see 30days by the guy in supersize me his name slipping my mind at the moment. well screw diesel and gas he got a jetta tdi running off vegetable oil. VEGETABLE OIL!!!!! so uhh go vegetables

It is chip fat isn't it? OR do both work?

There is a show in the UK (don't know if it is shown on some no name channel in the US) anyway, on sunday they had a 535d on the track and it was keeping up alright with the 545i petrol car. It was behind, but the petrol had the racing driver in it, and is 1litre bigger. The diesel does have 2 turbo's (one small for getting it going with no turbo lag, and one big one.)

Diesels with out a turbo are slow though.

Hmmm I dont know why you say gasoline cant carry loads. My sisters F350 (not comparing to 18 wheelers) is a Triton V8 and the thing is a 2 ton truck (i believe would have to ask my dad about that one) and carries really heavy loads. Not the equal amount as an 18 wheeler by far but more than what a normal truck would haul but still runs on gas. PLus it gets alot of mialage when hitting nothing but highway, say were taking a trip out of state. If we get on the highway we would get alot of miles when just going all out like that and wed stay around the 80-90 mark. Dont know if that made sense but im tired lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom