EBay message (I need advice)

Status
Not open for further replies.

xStevey_Bx

Baseband Member
I am selling a PSP on ebay and I am asking for £160 buy now...

I recieved this message from a buyer

[USERNAME]( 41)
Positive feedback: 97.7%
Registered on: www.ebay.com

Item: Sony PSP Value Pack w/ 4 Games ([ITEM NUMBER])
This message was sent while the listing was active.
gottarunow is a potential buyer.

Dear [USERNAME]
I am a US citizen and i will like to buy this item for my son who is studying in Africa and i would have love to bid on this item like others but my job won't permit me cos i'm a busy man due to the nature of my job and i will like to make an immediate offer of £450.00 for the item so if you are still intrested in selling this item to me get back to me with your full names,address and your personal e-mail address then i'll send out the money immediately through my Paypal Account or via International Money Postal Order.Your urgent responce will be highly appreciated.
Regards,
[BUYERS NAME].

I would like to think this is real but due to the fact that he has asked for my address when he intends to pay through pay pal I feel aprehensive..

What should I do :S

Edit:removed usernames and item number

Greetings,

First - Circumventing the eBay system is un-ethical. It is stated in the eBay rules and regulations.

Second - It is your choice.

Third - If you choose to move forward with this transaction, be careful. Giving out an e-mail address is okay. DO NOT give your physical address or home phone number. PayPal is a safe way to exchange money, and the previously mentioned info is NOT required.

Yeah...it sounds too wierd and too good; 450 BP is the clincher. I smell something fishy.

Oh yeah! ... one day the FBI knocked on my door regarding an eBay transaction. "Fencing" is big online.

Use wisdom and caution.

Trust me, it's a scam by some Nigerian dude sitting in a internet-shop in Lagos. He'll send the money fine, then once you send the item, he'll contact paypal claiming you never shipped the item, and they'll take the money back.

Easy solution, ask him why a American citizen would shop for a PSP on the UK ebay. And why would he offer you more than what the PSP is worth. And why would an American go studying in Africa? It's not a case of not having time for bidding, since your sell-now price is 160. Why would he offer more than what you're asking?

I've encountered this before, don't even bother sending him an email. Just ignore the whole thing!

magouster said:
Trust me, it's a scam by some Nigerian dude sitting in a internet-shop in Lagos. He'll send the money fine, then once you send the item, he'll contact paypal claiming you never shipped the item, and they'll take the money back.

Easy solution, ask him why a American citizen would shop for a PSP on the UK ebay. And why would he offer you more than what the PSP is worth. And why would an American go studying in Africa? It's not a case of not having time for bidding, since your sell-now price is 160. Why would he offer more than what you're asking?

I've encountered this before, don't even bother sending him an email. Just ignore the whole thing!

Exactly.

Don't do it.

I did as magouster and athlon suggested and ignored it only to recieve the buy now offer from a new user. I was sent an e-mail saying -

Hello,
Good day to you I'm so glad to buy your item for my friend who is incharge of the charity organisation in Africa(Nigeria),Am making this as a donation to thecharity organisation and so you will have to help me to get it shipped down to him .I' want the shipment via 1st class airmail with the fastest service they are having.Kindly help me to confirm the shipping cost and get back to me with the total cost.Regarding the payment i wish to pay via paypal but due to the problem i've with my account,i willn't beable to use it so I'll need your full name and address to make the payment which the funds will be deliver to you at your address in cash,the payment will be made from my western union account.I hope to read from you as soon as possible here is the shipping address

[PO BOX WHAT A PRAT]

What the **** is this guy playing at!

No way! Ignore him at all costs! Do NOT send it to him! Do NOT accept money from him!

Selling "hot" items on eBay like PSP's and iPods is a SHADEY SHADEY affair. 95% of them get scammed or are scams. DO NOT SEND HIM THE PSP!! I cannot stress that enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom