DVD back up Legal or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

æArchOAngelæ

Daemon Poster
well for those of you who saw the other section in the pretty wire management this is a continued version

question is: is it legal to backup store bought DVDs for your own personal use? (in the states)

æArchOAngelæ said:
well for those of you who saw the other section in the pretty wire management this is a continued version

question is: is it legal to backup store bought DVDs for your own personal use? (in the states)
Do a search through the forum. This issue has been beaten to death.

csamuels said:
its considered fair use

There's another thing that you have to worry about.

The Digital Millenium Copyright Act (DMCA) made it illegal to break encryption on DVD's (unless they've changed it, and I haven't heard about it).

So, while it would be considered fair use to create a backup of a DVD that you own for your personal use, because of DMCA, it's not legal anymore.

hey i have a question relating to this too, is it legal to put DVD's got through netflix on your hard drive?

havent yet cause i only havea tiny little 40gb filled with only 3 games (lol), but when i get my new system with a 350gb, and possibly a second 250gb raided together, i would put alot of movies on there if it is legal.

its just like hilowe said, no because you are cracking the encryption of the dvd which is a violation of the DMCA.

this is why all those dvd copy softwares got pulled off the shelves

Think of it like this. It is legal to make a copy of it, but illegal to circumvent any of its protection.

MrZucchiniHead said:
hey i have a question relating to this too, is it legal to put DVD's got through netflix on your hard drive?
No, because you are essentially renting, not buying. The rights you are entitled to when renting are different than when you buy.

But of course, that makes sense.

As for the original subject, I still haven't heard any valid reasons for backing up DVDs. All I've ever heard is excuses for wasting time, or people trying to convince others that it's not a loophole for piracy.

æArchOAngelæ said:

Provided that it for your own personal use and that you still have the originals. Then there is nothing wrong.

If you don't not know the orginals any more, then you must destroy the back up.

csamuels said:
its considered fair use
I just love how people stretch things on that. Like I know a guy with an extremely large anime collection. There was nothing orginal in his entire collection. He was copying DVD to make an "OFF SITE BACK UPS" for all of his freinds

Harper said:
Provided that it for your own personal use and that you still have the originals. Then there is nothing wrong.

If you don't not know the orginals any more, then you must destroy the back up.

I just love how people stretch things on that. Like I know a guy with an extremely large anime collection. There was nothing orginal in his entire collection. He was copying DVD to make an "OFF SITE BACK UPS" for all of his freinds
Holy crap...Harper, yer scarin' me. This is the second time we've agreed on something lately.

Did you suffer a head injury recently?

Anywho, yeah, all I've ever seen from the "backup DVD" issue is a rare few who make the backups and put them on a shelf, and the rest are just using it to make duplicates for whatever purpose.

Backing up DVDs is borderline mental, anyway. I mean, unless you put the backups (or originals) somewhere safe (like where they can't get stollen or burned), yer just wasting your time.

Of course, the old adage "Take care of the things you buy," goes a long way, too. When I buy something, I tend to take care of it. That way, the concept of "backups" is worthless. And besides, if I get robbed or my house burns down...the last thing I'm gonna be concerned about is my DVD collection. :rolleyes: :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom