Dowloading apple quicktime

Status
Not open for further replies.
Flanker wrote:
I can't choose between Physics (or Chem, but I like Physics more) and Computer Science (both Hardware and Software) for College...My Dad says I should go into the latter because it'll be easier to get a job, but I still don't know.

Why not look where my daughter did. She took the ASVAB in high school, just to see how she would do. Well, she got a 93 (out of a possible 98 or 99). The Navy calls her up and wants to talk to her. They tell her about their Nuclear Engineering, and she likes what she hears.

Anyway, she is now on their Delayed Entry Program. She has already joined, and has been sworn in. She'll graduate this May, and then leaves August 2nd for basic.

The Nuke program is math and science intensive, and the training is very tough mentally... four years of college in two. but the nukes are the cream of the military crop, the most elite mentally. Plus, the re-enlistmant bonus for a nuke, right now, is a cool 100G. But she'll be actively recruited by NASA and TVA, even while she is still in the service.

She's going in before college, but she has opted for the college fund instead of the enlistment bonus. That way, when she gets out, she'll have a minimum of 65 college credits from her training, plus any courses she takes while in the Navy (which are free, by the way), and she'll have $70,000 to use for college through the Montgomery G.I. bill.

So long as your scores are good enough, and you don't have a record. Only 2% of the people in America could even qualify to be a nuke, and most of them wouldn't pass the tests.

Anyway, it is a suggestion.

Blasphemy! That's a significantly different path from computers man .. I guess you want to make movies.. Who knows. Maybe you could end up in Lucas Arts
Nah not making movies, I'll be producing audio so maybe some audio work behind the scenes like blaster rifle sounds and things like that :) .......I love music so basically chances are I won't be in a big band, but hell maybe I can produce the next big bands out there :D

of course theres also sound engineers, I could be the dude setting up sound at concerts, radio, sound for movies, games, hell cartoons....theres a lot of variety with sound.

I know though.....you expected something within computers didn't ya :p I get that a lot when I tell people I want to go into the audio field and they ask "why? You should go into computers or networking" but like I said, computers annoy me....I love em to death, don't get me wrong, but I'd hate to work with them all day every day, and networking, oh man I've just always hated networking.

So if you buy a CD and you see the producers name as 'Nubius' you can say you knew him here first :p

Trotter said:
Why not look where my daughter did. She took the ASVAB in high school, just to see how she would do. Well, she got a 93 (out of a possible 98 or 99). The Navy calls her up and wants to talk to her. They tell her about their Nuclear Engineering, and she likes what she hears.

Anyway, she is now on their Delayed Entry Program. She has already joined, and has been sworn in. She'll graduate this May, and then leaves August 2nd for basic.

The Nuke program is math and science intensive, and the training is very tough mentally... four years of college in two. but the nukes are the cream of the military crop, the most elite mentally. Plus, the re-enlistmant bonus for a nuke, right now, is a cool 100G. But she'll be actively recruited by NASA and TVA, even while she is still in the service.

She's going in before college, but she has opted for the college fund instead of the enlistment bonus. That way, when she gets out, she'll have a minimum of 65 college credits from her training, plus any courses she takes while in the Navy (which are free, by the way), and she'll have $70,000 to use for college through the Montgomery G.I. bill.

So long as your scores are good enough, and you don't have a record. Only 2% of the people in America could even qualify to be a nuke, and most of them wouldn't pass the tests.

That sounds absolutely awesome. I'll definately look into it. Sounds like MIT, lol, which is what I'm aiming for.

Qiranworms said:
Hmm. I probably should have been clarified that I don't want to go into Computer anything. I'm very interested in the Waterloo Nanotechnology program. That's the sort of thing I think I'd like to do (at least at the moment). Actually, more interested in designing materials by assembling the molecules from scratch as opposed to MEMS.
What undergraduate program would you start in to get into that field?

Yeah nanotech is a good thing to go into man. I haven't done anything in that area, but some of my friends did. There's a lot of future in it IMO for sure.

Qiranworms said:

What undergraduate program would you start in to get into that field?

Here's the answer:

The institute, which draws some of the best researchers and students in computing, engineering, mathematical and physical sciences, is also funded through grants from the Canadian Foundation for Innovation, Canada Research Chairs, Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council, Ontario Research and Development Challenge Fund, Premier's Research Excellence Awards and Ontario Innovation Trust.

The funding will allow the IQC to set up a theoretical and experimental program to study the implications of quantum mechanics for information processing. The research will encompass theoretical investigations of quantum algorithms to laboratory realization of quantum mechanical devices.

Trotter said:

That's good stuff Trotter. Will she have to go out into the field to "fight"?

Nubius said:
So if you buy a CD and you see the producers name as 'Nubius' you can say you knew him here first :p

Make sure you put "Nubius" in brackets man :p.. Much like Jonathan "Fatal1ty" Wendel.. lol

Flanker said:
That sounds absolutely awesome. I'll definately look into it. Sounds like MIT, lol, which is what I'm aiming for.

MIT is great man. What kind of SAT score do you need to get into that exactly? I didn't want to go to school in the US, but I did do a few past SAT exams just to see. I always got like 790-800 in the math section, but the verbal wasn't too hot. lol.. Well, I didn't really "train" for it though.

Yes, MIT is awesome. Wherever I look I see people from MIT doing some amazing rescearch or inventing something...inventive. Its like a hub of scientific knowledge. I don't know what kind of SAT scores are needed, but its the top Technical school in the Country so I doubt anything less than the best would do. Theres something called the "MIT syndrome." It says that when you go to MIT you're the best in your High School, the winner of the Science Fair and all that. But when you get there, you're in the middle of other people like you who are as smart as, if not smarter than, yourself, lol.

As for the SATs, atleast here in California, they were revised last year. Now instead of being out of 1600 pts total, its out of 2400 pts. They changed almost everything and made it A LOT better. Last year the students had a choice to take either the old SATs or the new SATs. This year, we have to take the new one. I took the SATs again last saturday, haven't gotten my scores for that yet. When I took it the last time, I scored a 1950/2400. Thats exactly 1300/1600 compared to the old one. I definately need to step it up, hopefully I did better on Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom