Dang SNOW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a few inches of snow and of course it was a weekend so heaven forbid it ever get plowed off the road. Melted in the sun but froze instantly into ice since it's been hovering around 0 here over the past few days. A lovely -3 F this morning, icy roads and too cold for road salt to be effective yet again. It's been a cold one so far...

Thats because you have a near mediteranean climate in the far south. Main flaw with East anglia is that we occasionally get the siberian and arctic winds but as the prevailing wind in the UK is North east it is fairly rare.

fun fun. up in NEW england, and we get tons of snow... i have about a foot just chilling in my back yard with more on the way.

Thats because you have a near mediteranean climate in the far south. Main flaw with East anglia is that we occasionally get the siberian and arctic winds but as the prevailing wind in the UK is North east it is fairly rare.

Hoho, don't get me started on the geography of it....
But it is mainly due to Continentality and Ocean Currents :rolleyes: We have a lovely warm North Atlantic Drift coming up from America keeping our waters toasty warm, and being in the South and near the sea, we get a large amount of that warmth and the sea keeps us warm. Also because the sea heats and cools far more slowly that land does, we are cold in the summer (Cos the sea is still warming) and warm in the winter (Cos the sea is still cooling). Whereas all you people not in the south (or near the sea), your land cools down, and there is no water around keeping you warm. Tehrefore its colder, therefore you get the snow. :)

Told you that you didn't want to get me started on the Geography of it ;)

I have an A at As-level and in 3 days have an A2 exam on geography (coastal management and processes, geomorphological processes and mass movement) everything you said was true but you will learn that virtually everything you have been taught is not a lie but overly simplfied to the point where its no longer valid in higher education. I am expecting to be retaught everything if I go to uni its just the way of the UK education system it would seem.

Jumbled collection of facts:

Just because its cold doesn't mean it will snow, as air gets colder its capacity to hold water is reduced and so there is less moisture to bond together reducing the likelihood of snow. This is why you get morning dew, during the day human industry and the sun warm up the surface of the Earth over night the air close to the surface is cooled and looses its capacity for water so releases it. If you live in an urban area pollutants can substitute as water molecules as hydroscopic nuclei being formed this can result in rain when humidity is low.

Due to the relatively low friction of the waters surface the air moves quicker across it, this results in faster winds which are normally colder as there is not sufficient time to warm up when the winds hits the coast they move heat away and inland before dissipating. So inland areas can be much warmer then coastal as they are not subjected to such fast winds in both winter and summer its a culmination of factors which results in temperatures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom