College Advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone heres given really good advice, especially nubius.

If you're going to want to maintain a good GPA, then make sure you take advantage of extra credit assignments, no matter if you're grade in a class is already good, it doesn't take much to lower your grade, so its best to protect yourself by doing as many assignments as you can. Also if you have questions about your class or assignments, then talk to your professor during his office hours, I made the mistake of never talking with my professors during my freshman year, and because of that I had some mediaocre grades in a couple of my classes. Some professors won't tell you how you're doing in that class, but most will either advise everyone after an exam, or will have a website where its accessable.

Also working with your classmates is the easiest way to maintain a good grade, if some of your other classmates organized a study group somewhere, make sure you join them. Its alot more convenient to have other classmates on hand through email or cell phone to ask questions about an assignment.

Thats about all my advice for work, now some for play...

Since you're a freshman, you're going to want to make alot of friends and party, we all did it, or most did, but anyway, you're going to have to be responsible as well. Thursdays - Sunday is usually when everyones partying, unless its a holiday then everyones home, but theres a number of freshman that'll want to party every night, literally. You can do this during the first two weeks of college, but if you continue, you'll end up failing classes. Don't learn the hard way, alot of kids end up moving back home after failing only after one semester, mainly because their parents wanted them to, though I don't blame them since it is most likely their money you're wasting if you fail classes. Alot of kids just don't have the responsibility to handle the newly acquired freedom of being away from home and being in college. Though you have to remember that college is 4 years, and you'll have plenty of time to party and meet new people, theres no need to try it all during your first semester. Just focus on maintaining a good GPA for now.

Figure out what kind of job you want right off the bat, that way you know what degree you want. Immediately start calling companies in that area, send resumes, and get an intership asap. By the time your senior year hits, if you have had a couple internships and have experience working, you will be more valuable upon graduation, and will bring home a more $$.

Shannon said:
This may sound unusual to some of you, but come with your world view intact. Know what you believe. There are absolutes and you can stand up for them.

Yes, stick up for what you believe, but don't be closed-minded. College will open your mind to many things you never knew about and your political and religious views may drastically change. Don't be hard-headed.

StillwaterIT said:
Figure out what kind of job you want right off the bat, that way you know what degree you want. Immediately start calling companies in that area, send resumes, and get an intership asap. By the time your senior year hits, if you have had a couple internships and have experience working, you will be more valuable upon graduation, and will bring home a more $$.

That is horrible advice. Chances are, your career preference will change at least once during your first two years, if not several times. Besides, you normally don't have to declare a major until your Junior year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom