Cars!

Status
Not open for further replies.

john3

Banned
Guys, im soon to get my license, and as a present my parents offered to buy me a cheap like honda or something that I will soupe up myself. here is my problem, i dont know the first thing about making changes to cars, and i want to know if anyone knows of a forum as helpful as this one about cars.

Honda's don't come cheap, just a warning. They have some amazing reliability and are so well known that their resale value is outrageous. If you can get a Honda, get a newer'ish (my way of saying 2000-present) Accord and don't be like every other young car guy out there with a souped up Civic.

Jetta's and Passat's would be a nice bet, but again, expensive because they're foreign and if you have any troubles or parts that need to be replaced, hand over your wallet because they're going to jack all your money.

What is your budget?
What do you prefer domestic or import?
Can you drive a stick?
Is gas mileage and issue for you?
When you say soup up, are you looking to go fast straight or in corners or you just want the car to look pretty?

i want the car to look pretty with a functioning engine.

my budget is probably no more than $3000 CAN maybe 4. i can learn, im going to get my license this year. I prefer Honda, or Toyota, i really dont want an american car, its a reliability thing. i wouldnt mind a sporty hyundai as long as its functional.

I would go with an Civic SI mid 90's model if thats your price range. Or if you can't find a SI get at least an ex.
Toyota, I would get a celica or an MR2. Those should give you some pretty good ideas. I would prefer the honda over the Toyota just because there is a huge aftermarket out there for the Hondas. Just remember don't get caught up modding a car because its like pouring money into a dying stock. You will never get back out of it what you put into it. Drive it till the wheels fall off. yeehaw!

john3 said:
Guys, im soon to get my license, and as a present my parents offered to buy me a cheap like honda or something that I will soupe up myself. here is my problem, i dont know the first thing about making changes to cars, and i want to know if anyone knows of a forum as helpful as this one about cars.

My advice on cars is this. For your first car, get some thing that you can just walk away from if you have an accident.
I am buying my sister's 1983 Mazda 626 for a AU$1000. I am going to put third party and theif insurance on it, and that is it. It's going to cost me another AU$1000 per year for me to insure it for an accident in my first year or so of driving.

So if I smash this car where it's a write off, I will just get another cheap car AU$1000 car.

After a few years driving, then get yourself a good car.

hm......i see ur point. thats very true. thanx for the help. with that said, what do you guys suggest now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom