Is anyone else "hardware" amazed like me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chubz

Banned
I know it may sound weird and stuff, but believe it or not, I have some kind of "passion" for PC components, and sometimes I like just sitting down and studying one of my old video cards that I used to have in my PC.

As for me, the case is my ancient Geforce 2 MX 400 64mb PCI card. I just think it is cool to study them and realize that back in "the day" they used to rule the PC world......but now they are just a worthless piece of metal sitting on the shelf!

I also just like the way video cards "look". I don't really know why, but I just do! :p Maybe just the little bitty fans and components that they are made up of, or something else....

But anyways, does anyone else here have this strange "hobby" or "passion" ??????????? ;)

I do the same thing. Then I'll found some power supply or something and start removing/adding components, just to see what happens. Like one time I stuck my Inspiron 4000 in the freezer for 5 hours, and I had the freezer set at the coldest temperature. I took it out, turned it on, and it ran a lot faster then it has ever ran before. The battery only lasted about 30 minutes though :(

bandage_boy said:
I do the same thing. Then I'll found some power supply or something and start removing/adding components, just to see what happens. Like one time I stuck my Inspiron 4000 in the freezer for 5 hours, and I had the freezer set at the coldest temperature. I took it out, turned it on, and it ran a lot faster then it has ever ran before. The battery only lasted about 30 minutes though :(

LOL

That would suck! :D

I have never tried actually messing with devices, but I just study them..........hey, thanks for giving me and idea!

Now that I dont use my Geforce MX 400 PCI, maybe, if i cant sell it to someone with a TERRIBLE video card, I can maybe mess with it and put it in one of my old computers just to see what happens?

That would be pretty cool just to observe the effects that it would have on the performance of the video card itself and the computer :p

I'm easily amused by PC components as well. However:

- I dislike case modding (as a purpose of fun - I tend to take it only seriously, such as devising less commonly used cooling solutions, which I only do as engineering projects in my spare time) / adding flashy neon lights, etc.
- I prefer the PCB color of ICs to be a standard pine green, equipped with all the base necessary components (cooling, hardware monitoring circuitry, multiplier overclocking ability, etc.); nothing more.

There's a difference between it being all serious performance and all show (e.g. ricer). I prefer keeping my computing tradition to the way it was in the old days - serious hardware without all the extra plastic, coloring and butchering. Most machines nowadays I see at local LAN parties have more plastic than your average California female.

LOL, that California Female joke was just wrong man (but i dont live in CA, so i could care less, lol) :D :D :D :D :D

As for the "flashy" PC stuff, I am the same way.

I don't really care about making my PC look "COOL" looking or anything. In fact, my computer looks VERY plain looking, and just has a black case with silver on the front, and no special logos or anything. (The traditional boring E-machines setup).

I just want my PC to be capable of running the latest PC games and to be fast enough so that I wont get frustrated when doing tasks such as running lots of programs without much slowdown.

I am also glad that I am not the only guy who is amused by PC parts! SWEET! I am not as weird as I think I guess! :D

Chubz said:
So you also have this strange interest ?????

Or are you just laughing at me? :D
I'm not laughing at you, but with you since I now know that I'm not the only one that looks at stuff so closely, and am amuzed.

Dave :D

I guess I can say that I'm the same way. I also dig the smell. Next to a brand new car, the smell of brand new electronics is the best!

Just curious.....Does your name have anything to do with your vid card fetish?? LOL j/k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom