Anti-Sludge Treatment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SYL\X/3K

I know <html>, do you?
is there any recommended anti-sludge treatment i can use, because the car im getting has a bit of sludge build up in it. Now its not burning oil or anything , just asking if theres anything recommended i can get from Canadian Tire or something to cure this beast ,

thnx

Is this sludge inside the engine or in the fuel system? They make engine flushing products that go in your oil. You add it in run for a while then change the oil. Never tried them however. What I have done is drain the oil, change the filter, disconnect the coil wire so you don't get a spark, put about two gallons of kerosene in instead of oil, crank it over for a couple minutes. Let it stand for about an hour then crank it over again. Repeat this several times then drain the kerosene and change the filter. Leave the drain plug out for several hours and the fill cap off too to be sure you get as much out as possible. Replace drain plug. Add new oil, reconnect the coil wire, run the car for 15 minutes, then change the oil and filter. Sounds pretty crazy but it worked for me.

Sounds like a waste of oil and filters to me.

It's cheaper than rebuilding the engine. $50 worth of oil and filters versus possibly $1500- $2000 for a rebuild.
Granted it won't be as clean as a new engine, but at the price it's a pretty good cleaning. You can also remove the distributor and put a socket on the shaft and spin it with a drill. It will spin the oil pump (in most cars) and you can do it as long as you want without stopping. Some cars the oil pump runs off the crankshaft so this method won't work and you have to do it the other way. I have heard of people leaving the coil wire on and starting the engine for a few seconds, but I don't suggest that. Too risky.

Or you could just drop the pan and clean it out. :) It's what I did...of course, I only did that because I was rebuilding the lower end since some silly critter decided to run it low on oil and ate up all of the bearings and the crankshaft.

Or you could just drop the pan and clean it out. :) It's what I did...of course, I only did that because I was rebuilding the lower end since some silly critter decided to run it low on oil and ate up all of the bearings and the crankshaft.

But you would still have to pop the valve covers and clean them out along with the heads. Best method of course is to tear it down completely.

LOL...thats just a term people use to make money.

If you want to clean it out, run some SeaFoam through it. Then switch to a good oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom