Windows Home Server Redundancy

Status
Not open for further replies.

croop87

Beta member
I wanted to post a question about Windows Home Server. From what I have read I understand how WHS works with data redundancy. It uses a JBOD style interface vs. the more traditional RAID configuration. This allows for the use of disks of different sizes and manufacturers. Using the Windows Home Server Drive Extender you can have the computer place a tombstone file on the primary data partition that points to the location of one or more shadow copys of the file that can rest on any other drive. This is great, however if the system drive itself fails you are left with the recovery process which is a manual install of the OS and then a recovery of your data on the other drives.

What I am trying to do is make my WHS (HP MediaSmart Server) fault tolerant enough that should the system disk fail all I have to do is swap to another drive that contains the OS and can be back up and running much faster. I'm wondering if it would be possible to do something like a RAID config on the side to maintain a parity of the master system drive. Or possibly to back up the system drive to another hard drive in the system that could take over in the event that the system fails. My guess is beginning to lean toward the region of No it's not possible but I've been told that a lot in this line of work and have found a lot that "where there's a will there's a way" and as a computer analyst I like trying to problem solve and create solutions for things like this, but I don't know much about WHS so I'm seeing if anyone has any Ideas or thoughts to possibly point me in the right direction.

This is a file server for my company files and I would like to stick with the business model of 99.9% uptime if I could. The windows home server platform is perfect for a tiny company of my size it would just be nice to figure out some more ways to make it even better. Thanks to anyone who can help.

it's definately possible. I'm thinking you want to setup a disk mirror for the system partition and use disk extender for a data partition.

i would try this to setup the disk mirror (if no raid card was available)
How to mirror the system and boot partition (RAID1) in Windows Server 2003

then setup the rest of the disks to use disk extender.

i dont have any live experience with home server. you can take this information with a grain of salt. but this is common for most server builds....except we use raid 5 instead of diskextender.

other ppl online are arguing that disk extender is faster than raid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom