Weird Activity Noted

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpenceQ

Baseband Member
While in Outlook reading mail, I heard the familiar tick,tick of my hard drive, and couldn't figure who(program) was using my drive as I didn't make any net requests at that moment. Then I checked my modem status and my send receive was tallying up fast. My activity line at the bottom of my screen showed no status gauge(green) activity, and the right side procedure status didn't indicate anything.

I went to the command prompt and did a mem/c to see if anyone in memory was using the cpu, and it showed only normal programs I am familiar with and they weren't using the modem.

I clicked the double computer modem icon and tried to see who had made the request, but this info isn't provided by AOpen. So I disconnected my modem which of course stopped the activity and redialed in again and the activity didn't repeat itself.

Has anyone any ideas what this was using my modem? I use antivar free, which doesn't check/prevent for worms, nor do I have a firewall, but Antivar usually indicates that it is updating or whatever, and I'm sure that wasn't it. Automatic updates is off. Is there an activity log somewhere I can check to see who did the calling at that time.? Are there key indicators that I can determine what is happening the next time it happens?

Edited: Just one more thing. I don't note anything unusual happening with my computer yet. My main concern right now is info getting stolen from my computer, and I hope a virus wasn't being planted. And of course I could have been noticing legit activity by some program that should use standard information protocol but doesn't.

Thanks

Spence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom