stupid norton...what now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

miker296

Solid State Member
ok i've got norton AV and i disslike it. Someone on here said that its not too great to begin w/so its fine by me if i need to get rid of it.

But anyways, its got this "virus-warning" message up right now and i cant get it off...says something about "access to this file was denied" and i click ok and it says "unable to repair file"...so i click ok again and the first one comes back up...i can click ok a million times but its just gonna keep coming back up and i cant get it off.

So my question is, should i just uninstall norton and turn on the Windows Firewall deally? Or should i just leave that off too? So far i've just downloaded the AVG i think it is, and the spybot that are on warez's thing...should i be fine just running those 2 or should i get all of those ones on his thing and not run norton OR windows firewall?

So far i already like the avg one the best. Easy to use and every time i scan it comes up with a few things. Norton NEVER comes up with anything.

So what should i do? Get the complete set of ones on warez's?

thanks

1. Remove Norton, and delete all the files associated with it in Program Files and Common Files.

2. Install AVG, update it. Norton doesn't come up with anything because your computer isn't powerful enough to handle Norton.

3. Use Windows Firewall. It's good enough.

what do you mean by the computer isnt powerfull enough to use it? Would it need to be something like a brand new computer w/all sorts of crap in it (srry...dont really know much about how they run) and my computer just doesnt have all that jazz? Its a sony vaio from like...oh...3 or 4 years ago maybe? So ya i guess compaired to whats out there now it prolly isnt much. But its norton AV 2003. We had 2006 on there but thats not on there now.

But i will uninstall all the norton crap...i disliked it anyways :)

thanks

what do i do about the norton internet security part tho? I gues there's norton AV and norton internet security...would the AVG be good enough for that? And same w/windows firewall...will they block popups and stuff?

bump? What do i do about the internet security? And could someone help me find the windows firewall? I remember that i turned it off when norton was put on, but i cant find where it is now to turn it back on, tho i know its still there.

lol maroon1 bloody ell

anyway yes go with avg OR avast (maroon1's fav), they will work as a antivirus.

for the firewall I wouldnt use windows firewall not really strong enough use comodo its simple and effective.

with the combination of the 2 you will be fine.

uninstall the whole of norton internet security, its a resource hog and slows the computer down.

Also back up your registry and remove any registry keys for norton. After removing via add remove programs, do a search for norton, nav, and symantec. remove anything you find as some anti virus programs won't work correctly if there is another hanging around. You may have to do this in safe mode. I am in the process of getting rid of Norton as well. It is making my laptop unusable. And for some reason it has decided it doesn't want to work either, so it's outta here. The windows firewall is in control panel, security center or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom