New Virus Tries to Delete Your Security Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
New Virus Tries to Delete Your Security Software

There is a new virus out there that actually tries to delete your security software. You know, depending on what you use for anti-virus software, that might not be such a bad thing.

While the domain linked to in these infected e-mails is no longer live, infected computers can still be spreading virus messages. When the virus is run, it installs itself as CSRSS.EXE in the Windows directory, then e-mails the contents of your address book. It also spreads through mapped drives, remote machines, and removable media. The virus then attempts to download files and delete security software, including virus protection.

I believe I had one of these viruses a couple months ago. It was one of the Anti-Virus 2000 varients, prompted me that my PC was infected (ya think :) ) and then said it needed to remove MSE in order to remove the virus, at which point it ran the MSE uninstall executable. Luckily it required the user to confirm the uninstall, which I didn't of course.

That one was a bit of a brat to get rid of.

Thanks for the info Osiris. These **** things have been popping up here and there for the past 8 years or so as far as my knowledge goes. They can be a pain to get rid of as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom