Need help looking for better AntiVirus program

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ EndurancE

In Runtime
I'm currently using Norton AntiVirus 2005. It's good, easy to use program, and has kept me out of trouble for the last 4 years --but it still requires renewing the subscription, and it REALLY bogs down my system, especially durning startup. (I noticed that right after I first installed it.)

A friend recommended AVG Free, so I gave it a try on another computer, and have been very pleased with it so far. It's free, gives you basic virus protection, and doesn't bog down the computer.

I'm considering using it on all three of my computers, if I find that it's reliable enough. But I'd like to get some more opinions! ;) Has anyone else used AVG, or have anything to say about it?

(Btw, I use a seperate program for spyware protection, so that's not an issue here.)

avg is probably my favorite free av because its so lightweight & updates so fast & can scan fast too when you install it and give scans high priority.

antivir & avast are good too though, up to you.

The only thing I dont like about AVG is when you are using Outlook and AVG updates, you need to close Outlook and if you dont, you will be required to reboot.

Since I have reinstalled media center AVG always makes me reboot after an update, I tried reinstalling and it does the same thing. Any Ideas whats causing that, it never used to do that.

Thanks guys!

I'll probably go with it then. I'm getting rid of Outlook anyway, and I just use XP on all my computers, so it sounds like it shouldn't be a problem. :)

Oh ok. I'm using Express 6, but I'm changing over to hotmail so it doesn't make much differance! :D

Btw, does anyone know if AVG Free has Worm and/or Trojan protection?

I guess that answers my question..........
I just want to be sure it has protection for those types of infections.
(Please excuse the noob questions-- :freak: I'm still learning, as we all have to sometime.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom