My knowledge on PC security

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hampton

Yee Ol' Salt
Ok I left a small post the other day with a brief description of my involvement and knowledge on AV/Malware security for the PC.

Here I will get a little more indepth so I can perhaps fill everyone in on what I have learned over the last 10 years.

I have tested many differnt software but mostly security (this was how I was able to safely obtain the software with little threat to my PC).

Lets cover the AV programs first.

A good rule of thumb for these are if you can cheat it (get pro version warez) it isn't going to protect you very well is it, because that would mean it's hackable.

AVG - was one that started useing a few years back and was able to run it through many grueling tests.
The free addition was one of the best out there other than a few failures with the engine haveing hick-ups it is bullet proof (for AV/Malware) no leaks.

The Pro version (paid version) has the same rock solid AV/Malware as the free but more stable and has a firewall that is second to none, combined as a total security package it's 100% bullet proof.

Avast - This one I have not tested myself but I have not heard anything bad so as a open-source AV, from what I have heard it is well built.

NOD32 - Same as avast, but if anyone else has a testimony to share on the ones I have not tested please feel free to share them.

McAfee - I have tested and seen this bundled on many machines and never heard anything good and with my tests it failed miserably.

Norton - hmm where to begin, well if you have read my first post on this subject you will get a glimpse of what I think of this one.
I started out like many people have with Symantec and let me tell you I have tried every version and every combo they have to offer and to this day it has not changed one bit. (started testing in 1996)
The absolute worst AV/Malware/Firewall you could ever hope to or have the misfortune to use, (you need a slew of programs to cover the holes that it leaves on your machine,but their firewall will protect YOU from connecting to the internet not the internet connecting to you) second to only one that is not even worth mentioning but I will so ppl who have used it would agree "PCcillin".

Kaspersky - I haven't really tested this one to give it a fair review,
but from what I have heard it's not the worst but not the best.. so I give it 50/50, but again since it's not one that I have tested, I can only go by what I have been told by reliable sources.

F-Secure - same as Kaspersky (see above comment)

Panda - OK now we're getting back into a real solid AV, while their firewall is almost but not quite as bad as Norton lets say it's inbetween windows and the one I just mentioned tho maybe Windows firewall is actually better than both.

But their AV/Malware engine is second to NONE, the absolute best that you could ever hope to have. accompanied with a rock solid firewall you are now bullet proof to surf the web, (it wont hide your IP so don't try anything stupid, thats a whole different subject, plus this stuff is not relative to that sort of thing)
but to be honest with all the dodgy prices I have seen on this one lately I'm not sure what the future holds for these guys, but be rest assured while they're in business you will be golden on AV/Malware.
(the Corperate Network solution has an awesome firewall/packet filter along with the same rock solid AV/malware engine for the PC but is a little heavy on the wallet)

Trend Micro - same as Kaspersky

Comodo - Just started testing this AV so I can't give a review yet but the firewall seems solid for the combo being free so far I'm impressed haven't tried the pro version maybe the firewall in the pro version is more control featured but the free version doesn't appear to have good program control features. But seems solid so far.

These last two I have never heard of so I can't say anything about them
Bit Defender
Avira Antivir

You missed Windows Live One Care
Which hasn't let my pc die since i've had it... So it seems ok :p

Live OneCare is being discontinued as of June 2009. After that it will be rebranded and re-released as a free program from Microsoft.

I have used it. While not as good as Avast which i currently use. It wasnt that bad either.

It doesnt have that great of a catch rate. But overall it is a decent app. Hopefully once it goes free M$ will put a little more effort into that front.

McAfee - I have tested and seen this bundled on many machines and never heard anything good and with my tests it failed miserably.

I never had a problem with McAfee, but I have to ask: What exactly do your tests entail ? If they are thorough (and I am sure they are), what kinds of benchmarks do you put these programs through. I am wondering because for me, McAfee always worked great, and I was a bit surprised that the people you talked to didn't have anything good to say about it, and that you thought it "failed miserably". Just curious. Only thing I didn't like about McAfee was the price. Now I use AVG Free.

Well , my tests are user based.. but the most simple way to test your AV and your firewall is to type Warez in IE 5, if your AV and or firewall is worth anything you will have no problem, but if it is not up to par you are SOL.

But there are pages specificly designed to test your security.. one for instance is "Test My Shields" (grc.com)

really how do you "Bench mark" AV software? you can test a firewall.

I would naturally think that they would lose interest because it will be free.

Not true. Being free it will be available to everyone who runs Windows. So there will be greater feedback than those who used OneCare. So they will have to keep interest in the program if they wish to make it a viable solution for users.

There are ways to test AV. But it involves infecting your machine. Which is why testing AV's would best be done in a Virtual Machine environment. That way not to affect your main machine but a machine that doesnt really exist and wont affect any files you have.

I see your point, Mak. I just never thought that M$ ever did anything that didn't acquire $$$. Still not convinced that it will be more succesful, but interesting thoughts. Time will tell I suppose.

I personally never went to OneCare because I already had everything configured the way I wanted. Was using ZoneAlarm, McAfee, etc. Now I use AVG as I said, Spybot S&D, AdAware, and between those three programs things run well.

Can you suggest a good firewall ? I will search the stickies and see if there is something already posted.

EDIT: Mak ! Question for ya, have you considered working for Microsoft ? I know your brother-in-law does you said, you are a Microsoft Guru ! I meant to ask you this before, I was just curious if you ever considered it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom