Migration issue

SWDay#12

Solid State Member
Have a friend who has a business who has nine total computers in their business. An IT person recommended a server and installed a 2003 XP server. All their computer's are operating on different platforms for example xp, xp professional and windows 7 home premium. They only use this server for a shared folder for storage. They have had issues with accessing their shared folder lately and since there a a large amount of factors, I think that installing a server only complicated their operation.

My question is wouldn't it be easier to install a NAS drive, network all the computers to it since all they use it for anyway is storage? and if so, what is the best way to migrate the data from the server to the NAS drive, is there a certain program that he needs to be aware of. I would hate to see him get ripped off either by putting a bandaid on this problem so to speak, or fix it once and for all but do it the best way possible. Any advice would be helpful.

Problem 1. 2003 XP Server does not exist.
Are you referring to Windows Server 2003 or simply Windows XP with lots of storage?

Problem 2, Windows 7 Home Premium.
In a business environment you should never have a copy of an Operating System that does not include all the components for a corporate environment.

You mention they are having problems, Could we get some form of clarification on the problems they are having?
Has the File Server system been setup for Windows Server 2003? (If it is WS 2003)
Does this happen only when you restart?
Are the people changing the names of the folders?
Are they mapped network drives?
Do they not see the shared folder?
Will they not stay mapped?
Are the permissions assigned properly?
Is there a username and password for all the accounts?

Changing from the server to a NAS would be ok for a home business but in a multi user environment I would not recommend it.

Problem one yes it is Windows Server 2003.
Problem two I agree, they should be running in my opinion windows seven professional or ultimate, even xp professional since the server issue but that isn't the case.
The only problem they state is that when they have a certain program open, sometimes they cannot open the shared folder. They do see it, but it doesn't open. I actually got more clarification on this so this is good. It seems this program they are running is with a business and it's a program they must run in order to do business with orders. I'm wondering if it's something in the program since when they close it, there shared folder will then open. Permissions and mapping is correctly done and there are no usernames or passwords assigned. I'm wondering why it wouldn't be a good idea since the other business which is in the same operation as they are have been using a nas drive and running flawlessly. They haven't had this issue at all. For only nine computers don't you think that running a server for just storage complicates things? I'm not demeaning your response I really do appreciate you coming back with those questions since that helps but why do you think it's bad. Please let me know as I will inform him. thanks again reckless for your response much appreciated. Also if keeping the server is better would updating the server programming to say windows server 2008 be better and put all the computers on windows seven professional?

Last edited:
There is certainly a conflict with the application.
When you are in a business you always want to look at a cost effective solution and while going with a NAS would be a simply fix it does not allow the potential for growth or further development of the company.

This is just a shot in the dark but is the application for orders on the server?
If it is, is there a limitation to the connections they can make to a server?

Would it be possible to have the application open and go via Networks to try and access the shared drive of the server to see if it provides you the same error?

If you can get the issue resolved in the aspect of not being able to connect to the shared drive I would wait a bit in regards to an upgrade.
The problem is with Windows 8 the support for Windows 7 will stop soon and the release of Server 2012 will make Server 2008 a thing of the past quickly.

As he now has a Server I would certainly recommend him to look at getting an IT company that would be able to provide some form of support. They would also be able to provide him the best cost-effective solution if it gets to the point of upgrading also.

Last edited:
The company won't probably use but a couple more pc's but that does make absolute sense. Also I do beleive it's a conflict with the program that they use. When they close the program they can open the shared folder. Also it's only two people that have this issue. Their computer settings are correct and I'm wondering if there is a limitation to windows server 2003 which I believe is five licenses. If that is the case however; whey then did it work at first and about a year later they've had this issue? Strange huh? I really don't know about the limitations all that much but that would make sense.

The application is a seperate program that they download and install on the pc's, it isn't on the server. I will try that and see what happens. What is the reasoning by opening via networks? just curious?

As weird as it may sound, I am thinking that it might just be causing the issue to the mapped drive and not the actual connection to the server.

Microsoft CALs (Client Access Licenses) are only for non-anonymous users configured within Windows 2003 As you are only using it as an application server, it does not use CAL licenses.

Just for FYI since you did reply, Turns out it was a security patch that needed to be downloaded and installed into all the computers which lowered the security setting. After that everything is ok. We did however place them on a business level NAS drive since all they used that old server for was storage anyways. Placed all the computers on Windows 7 Professional which allowed for everyone to be on the same operating system. This fixed everything that they had wrong. That server was just a pain for some reason. Thanks for your posts, helpful information.

Back
Top Bottom