Just a quick question

93tilnfinity

Solid State Member
hey guys I just registered here and I was wondering..

I've got this trojan virus on my desktop pc that i wanna fix up so I can start gaming again. anyways, it's located in the system and system32 files, and most likely has spread to more. ive done a decent job at maintaining the thing, but it seems like I cant remove the virus because its attached to a file that is crucial for windows to run. now, all i wanna know is, if i buy a new hard drive, and replace the one i have...will the virus be gone? and if i do buy a hard drive, i was looking at some on best buy, and there is a 500gb seagate hard drive, what other specs do i look at? it said 3gbs transfer rate or something like that

Definitely want to look at the rpm as the speed of the revolutions will dictate how quickly the drive will be able to actuall provide the data requested the average is 7200. If your gaming I'd recommend either a 10000 or possibly even a solid state. Another option would be a hybrid drive, like the momentus XT by seagate(which is my personal recommendation as you can get a 500GB online for between 90 and 120)

If you really want a new hard drive go for it, but don't copy over the windows installation if you do.

If you reformat and reinstall windows on your current hard drive, the virus will be gone as well without buying a new hard drive, if you wanna save some money.

I am with Yevrag on this one. I don't understand the second hard drive idea. A bootable virus scanner such as AVG Rescue CD | PC Rescue and Repair Toolkit will allow you to clean any system files that are in use during a running session. A format-reinstall will definitely be the safest route to take for cleaning an infection, I would backup any important files first. Just remember before you copy the files onto your clean install, scan them for infections first, and then scan them again just to be sure.

Look forward to hearing an update on your progress, and best of luck with your problems. - Rube

Definitely want to look at the rpm as the speed of the revolutions will dictate how quickly the drive will be able to actuall provide the data requested the average is 7200. If your gaming I'd recommend either a 10000 or possibly even a solid state. Another option would be a hybrid drive, like the momentus XT by seagate(which is my personal recommendation as you can get a 500GB online for between 90 and 120)

a 7200 rpm drive is just fine for gaming. hell, i play a few off a 5200 rpm and its all good. 10k is nice though :D

as RubeSmench says, get a bootable virus scanner. personally wouldn't trust the AVG one myself, but that s an opinion, and i haven't used it in a while. there are plenty out there however.

My apologies, I misunderstood, and ran a hundred fifty miles in one direction. To answer the original question, "if purchasing a new hard drive would remove the virus". If you purchase a new hard drive and do a fresh OS install then you will be rid of the virus. However that would be like killing a fly with a sledge hammer. I too would have to recommend trying multiple scanners such as MSEs, AVG, Avast.

okay well ive tried the free avg scanner and its not able to remove the virus. a friend of mine told me to boot in safe mode and run malwarebytes? any help with that? i thought i was pretty good with computers, but when it comes to this stuff im so helpless haha

93tilnfinity said:
a friend of mine told me to boot in safe mode and run malwarebytes?
That would be a good move.
93tilnfinity said:
any help with that? i thought i was pretty good with computers, but when it comes to this stuff im so helpless haha
Download Malwarebytes
Boot into "safe mode with networking" by pressing F8 at the POST screen.
Run a full scan
Wait for results.

If it doesn't find anything, you may have to run a malicious process killer like RKill, then scan again. In fact, just run RKill first before scanning :p.

Here's a pretty thorough check list to work through, actually surprised me when I ran through it just how much my machine had been slowed down. Felt like I bought a new one, hope you get the same results ;) (biggest thing was defender offline, it takes a while but helps a ton)

There is no magic bullet but here is a pretty good regiment to get you healthy again. Not quick but effective.

1 Backup your system
2 Check for and uninstall any toolbars or apps you don't recognize or need.
3 Download Free Microsoft Defender Offline (make sure you get right version) and make a CD and boot to it and run it. Can find more info here Microsoft
4 Download Free McAfee Stinger and run it for Trojans and Viruses can get it from here Stinger | McAfee Free Tools
5 Download Free Malware Bytes and run it for MalWare can get it form here Malwarebytes : Free anti-malware download
6 Remove your Anti-Virus and Anti-Malware software, reboot and install it fresh, I would use whatever your ISP gives you free
7 Download and apply any OS updates.
8 Uninstall Flash if you don't need it otherwise update it to the latest. Or could remove flash and just install Chrome and view all Flash content there since flash is built into chrome (and auto updated by Google).
9 Uninstall Java if you don't need it otherwise update it to the latest, if need it but not in browser that feature can be turned off in the latest Java control panel.
10 Turn off "Enable Adobe JavaScript" under Preferences:JavaScript in Adobe Reader if you have Adobe Reader.
11 Turn off "Allow opening of non-PDF file attachments with external applications" under Preferences:Trust Manager in Adobe Reader if you have Adobe Reader.

Back
Top Bottom