I think I'm in way over my head, but...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope, tried a couple different download addressed typed directly in the top address bar, and explorer instantly shuts down...

Oh, and firewall is down - when I go to Control Panel - security - Windows firewall, I get a window telling me: Firewall settings cannot be displayed because the associated service is not running. do you want to start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service?

Not knowing what is meant by connection sharing, I have not opted to hit OK - but obviously my computer is sharing info online...

Well remove the ethernet line or disable access to net and copy the tools over to the infected pc..

Im tryin to think of a specific bootable spyware cd but cant remember it, on tip of tongue

OK - pulled the phone line, and checked 'never make a connection'...

but alas, even hijckthis won't run. I just get a super-quick 'flash' of something on the screen, and that's it.

I do have, handy, the XP Home builders disk I just used for the DAW...

Part of me thinks, after 4 (?) years, maybe it's time to just wipe it clean, but then - I think I've forgotten how much friggin work that is...

Whoa, the Avast, for example, is 150 cahunas!

So, since I had recently backed up all docs before this happened, and am therefore not overly concerned about saving anything on the HD... (although it is time consuming to load files back into Docs) and after 4 years there's probably all kinds of crap I'd love to kiss goodbye...

IF I go ahead and reformat and reinstall the OS, am I guaranteed to loose the bug?

I'd say 99% :cool:

As long as the thumbdrive isnt infected or the backup drive you should be fine. After 4 years I'd say you are in need of a fresh start.

Well, Happy Thanksgiving early. I'm away through the week - I'll recheck this post next Sunday/Monday for new ideas, before I start the 'reload'.

Thanks so much for the help - way cool you're here for 'dummies' like me! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom