Help!! Malware has locked my pc

cyberrich

Solid State Member
Has anyone suffered from malware that locked their pc and demanded money to unlock it. I'd allowed my antivirus to expire and this malware got through. :eek:I've bought a new pc, but I'd like to repair my old one as a spare. I can't get it into safe mode. I tried tapping F8 several times but no luck. I made the mistake of disconnecting the pc from the modem and all I get now is a small box on the screen saying cable not connected, even after I've reconnected to the modem.
Is there another way of my getting into safe mode or is my only option to reformat. I know I'll lose everything on the pc, but if I can't get round the cable not connected message I'm not sure what else I can do. I've never tried reformatting. I've got the xp disc. Do I just insert this and follow instructions, and will I even be able to do this, if the pc keeps saying cable not connected. Grateful for any help. Many thanks, Rich.:)

Do you know the name of the virus? System Tool, MoneyPak, etc. Knowing which one we are dealing with here can greatly help us assist you in different actions that you can take in order to try and remedy the situation.

Hi, not 100% sure, but moneypak sounds familiar. I can't get anything now other than cable not connected so I can't check. What I got was a full screen message saying my computer was locked and I had to pay £100 GB. There was a photo of a British policeman making a stop sign with his hand. I had 48 hours to pay, and moneypak does ring a bell. Thanks, Rich.

That sounds like it, though I'm not familiar with the British version if there is one (which sounds like it may be)

In the states, one of the nastiest viruses is called FBI MoneyPak, which much like what you described, claims to be the FBI locking the users computer, and that you have 72 hours to pay a $200 fine through the Green Dot MoneyPak service or face arrest; which as we all know is completely bogus.

This website here has plenty of information regarding the virus and it's removal:

How to Remove FBI Moneypak Virus/Malware That Blocked PC Asks For Payment 100 Dollars? - YooSecurity Removal Guides

As far as the virus not allowing you into safe mode goes, try unplugging the power from the outlet so that Windows fails to shutdown properly, then start it back up again. Upon turning the computer back on, you should get a screen stating that Windows didn't shut down properly and will be given a few options to select from. Choose "safe mode with networking" and then follow the steps listed in the link I provided above. Likewise, if you were on a laptop, you would simply be removing the battery with the computer turned on, then placing back in and booting it up again.

Also, here are another couple of links that may be helpful in removal:

How To Remove The FBI Virus (FBI Moneypak Ransomware Virus) - Fake FBI Malware Removal | Botcrawl.com

Remove FBI Moneypak, removal instructions (with YouTube video guide)

More or less you are entering into safe mode, running regedit, and looking for all the files that are not explorer.exe or blank, replacing them with explorer.exe

Last edited:
Many thanks for your help!! :)I did shut the power off at the switch a couple of days ago, but I didn't try unplugging it, but I still got the cable not connected message when I turned it back on, even though it was connected to the modem. Not sure if the malware is causing this. I may have trouble getting beyond this not connected message. The old computer has been unplugged for 2 days now, so I'll try again and let you know how I get on. All the best, Rich.

Last edited:
No problem and good luck. If that doesn't work, the only other thing that I can think of is using the discs you had mentioned to reinstall Windows. Doing this should correct the problem, but in the process will completely wipe your system.

Well, I plugged my old pc back in after it had been unconnected for over 48 hours. it was no longer locked by the malware. I was able to open in safe mode, do a system restore and run malwarebytes. If anyone has their pc locked and you can't get into safe mode, just unplug your pc for a day or two and hopefully it will no longer be locked.

Well, I plugged my old pc back in after it had been unconnected for over 48 hours. it was no longer locked by the malware. I was able to open in safe mode, do a system restore and run malwarebytes. If anyone has their pc locked and you can't get into safe mode, just unplug your pc for a day or two and hopefully it will no longer be locked.

System Restore won't really help remove a virus.

You'll want to run MBAM, TSSDKiller, and possibly ComboFix from BleepingComputer to be sure your system is clean.

If all else fails and you have to reinstall Windows, first use an Ubuntu live CD to back up your data. Heck, if you don't play games or do video editing, you could just install Ubuntu. That's a way to give virus makers a big middle finger.

If all else fails and you have to reinstall Windows, first use an Ubuntu live CD to back up your data. Heck, if you don't play games or do video editing, you could just install Ubuntu. That's a way to give virus makers a big middle finger.

There are still viruses and malware for Linux; they're just less common.

Back
Top Bottom