Happy Sweetest Day!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes thank god for those reply posts later on, else we never would have worked out why AVG Missed the Malware - AVG did not miss the malware upon clicking the link initially, it did however miss the malware once it was downloaded and installed after running a quick and full scan and after scanning the malware folder directly.

He stated that nothing was "active or executed on the system" - Upon clicking the link there is nothing active on your system. AVG is warning you about the potential unsafe website behind the link. AVG gave the only warning about the website before even opening the link, then MSE did, after you was inside the website, AVG, Avira and Avast gave no notifications about this program being downloaded or installed. When the malware was installed, it was then active.

No offense but Osiris was advocating 2 Antivirus's for testing purposes or disabling live protection for testing purposes - I did not disable any feature from any of the programs. Again, these programs are more than just an antivirus. And when testing I found that AVG and MSE were the best fit for each other and they gave the highest detection rate before entering the website, BUT once inside the side, all programs failed to recognize this program downloading that has been around for a long time and all failed when the program was installed EXCEPT for MSE of which MSE didn't fully contain, just parts. Having 2 live protection malware programs IMO is the way to go.

Quite obviously nowhere was stated that he was testing worst case scenario Nor what negative actions were taken to allow this Malware to come in - I downloaded this program just to show everyone what was behind it, how to remove it and what programs were best at detecting and removing. Again, AVG was the first to detect and then MSE. The only programs to fully clean this virus was a few actions from Hijackthis in conjunction with MSCONFIG and then finally MBAM. Hijackthis needed to remove one file in order for MBAM to update, now I'm pretty sure that MBAM already had the definitions to remove this threat but it still needed to be updated. I installed these programs on purpose, not because any of the mentioned programs failed to stop it.

The thread reads as though MSE or AVG got it. Of which they didn't - Yes AVG and MSE detected this BEFORE entering the site and MSE detected it only after it was installed but still wasn't able to remove it 100%.

After questioning why they didn't (?) I was informed that real time protection was disabled for testing purposes and 2 Antivirus's were installed at the same time - This thread is so long, did I say that I disabled Real Time Protection? Can you point that out to me? If I did say it then I stand corrected that I did indeed say it.

Advising best course of action to others viewing, and to Osiris, i.e.: Run Anti-Malware tools, and/or follow a Malware removal guide Remove one Antivirus and keep the other live protecting Run Antivirus removal tools - Best course of action is to block it before its able to be downloaded to the end users computer. AVG blocked the site and the link from you entering, I went on ahead in to show everyone what it was and myself what the program actually was that wants you to download. Then if and when the program is installed, you then should run the malware removal tools as you normally would.

I was then explained that this was some type of big test, as you say: "It never hurts to have as many sources of information as possible" Yes it does. As Post#1 was misleading and not helpful to others - How was my post misleading? Most if not all people here that have read this thread seemed to understand it except for you or maybe you did understand but don't agree with how I took care of the situation.

Closing IExplore and running two Antivirus's to remove the Malware did not work - I mentioned closing IE via Task Manager was the safest way to avoid this malware. All too many programs such as these download to your pc automatically, download even if you click no, download even if you click the X in the corner of the dialog box, download when you try to close the tab, etc. So in short closing IE did indeed work to avoid the infection. You may have a cookie of some sort on your pc that may trigger your AV or malware programs but that's all. In extreme cases even attempting to close IE won't help but not in this case.

As I had earlier stated running malware dedicated tools were preferred ideally following an online guide and ironically ! That's exactly what he did, running Malwarebytes and finding Malware to remove, plus running live protection Antivirus - You are exactly right, running malware tools AFTER you have done been infected, but you need to run them such as AVG BEFORE they download, which is why AVG notified me with that message.

If member (Moderator) Osiris wishes to continue informing others that running 2 Antivirus's is good (or deciding on testing known malware, without live protection) Then I will continue disputing it, to inform others of the best course of action - How many times do I need to tell you, these programs are more than just a plain ole antivirus, they are much more. One program may not have the definitions to remove the infection but the other might.

BUT, if you allow only 1 Member to solve all Malware faults then you are also going to get his personal views - It's not so much as a personal view, it just works. I'm not going to run something on my system if it doesn't work in the way it should. I provided a poll for everyone to participate in. I did stop in on every other post telling people that AVG is the best. It works best for me, it works so well that I even implemented on my network of 35 blade servers and counting replacing SAV 9 and SAV 10. For example, we run live SAP servers, the last virus Conficker, all but one of my servers are running AVG, the other is the AD server that is managed by corporate and it runs SAV 10. So what happened? The AD got infected, all the other servers had this virus quarantined, then when AVG was able to update the definitions it deleted the virus. Now I already had the update installed prior to Conficker coming out but on some systems it didn't make a difference. If you have a grudge against AVG then so be it, I provided everyone with my test results, maybe your test results will be different?

Personally I say thread Solved I think that we all agree: Use one updated live protecting Antivirus software Or, use two if you know what you are doing - Lets say someone is using Avira which remains active and then they buy MBAM which you are buying the real time protection otherwise you don't need to buy it as the free version will suffice, do you suggest they remove/Disable Avira? Because we all know that MBAM blows AVG, Avira, Avast and MSE away when it comes to detection and removal.........

Keep backups of all user data , and surf safe etc - Backups are important but how many people actually do it? Surf Safe, these days there is no way this is possible. Even the most advanced user will get infected by a drive by download. Now I'm no expert by any means but I have visited sites that are legit but as soon as I open them, I have a program trying to download or already silently downloaded. You can tell a 6 year old to surf safe unless they are a genius, you know what I mean. I don't care if you have a 6 year old that is a good as you are with online crap, everyone is different.

Responsible online viewing/downloading is a good start - What I said above

Can you run other programs with Essentials? "you can use other software with MSE but you cannot use another antivirus program with it. " - I disagree with the programs I have tested. They can be ran in parallel of each other without issues.

I have not tested MSE with other Antivirus programs installed I agree that this can only be done by someone who really knows what they are doing This thread therefore is not meant for the community in general to try and test this idea - What do you mean? You can do this as well, you don't need to be a professional to do this, just do it and find out for yourself, that's how you learn, of all people on here, you seem to be the one with how I do things around here, yet you haven't tested this out so therefore you have no idea except for what I have shown or what you have read by the "Professionals"

I'm using "light theme" on this forum (although I may go back to black again)
Therefore before changing your color on posts just be aware that some may not be able to read it. ie If I were you I'd edit out the white color

Thanks for your long and comprehensive explanation
I agree with you (now) And i am thankful that you have stayed patient with me for such a long time

I have nothing else to add to this thread
I do not retract my earlier comments either, as I believe the above full explanations have now covered all

Thanks for your above reply

Thanks for your long and comprehensive explanation

Kimsland, although I do get some things from your posts, I have to say that long and comprehensive is just one way I would describe your posts. So to imply that others' posts are long and comprehensive betrays a sort of ... how do I put it ? "One-upsmanship" maybe ? You are new here and it would serve you well to consider perhaps not being a "topper" with almost every post. Sorry, but I call it as I sees it, my friend.

Yes Osiris is knowledgeable and yes he is extremely helpful
BUT, if you allow only 1 Member to solve all Malware faults then you are also going to get his personal views (just like me)

No one person depends on solely on Osiris. It's just that he is admired for his knowledge in handling security issues, and greatly respected; of which I admire, and this admiration is granted by others, not imposed on others. ;)

No one relies on any one member here. I think the post count says enough. He has the most on here but look at the total. He only takes up 0.018% of the posts on this forum.

Members rely on others who they know are knowledgeable. Simple as that.

Thread Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom