Attacked by virus/hacker? (Linux)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murdoc

In Runtime
Hi, I was working at home last night and I left my computer for a while to do something. I come back I see it's in screensaver mode so I move my mouse as usual to get me back into linux, but for some reason the computer started lagging a lot and it took over 20 mins to load back into linux. Not only that, but even after 20 mins it still cannot load back into linux properly... so I pushed the rest button and loaded back into windows. I got this error message saying "Product not found". Does this mean I've been hacked? or is it a virus that loaded up? What is it? I immediately used AVG 7.0 (free edition) to scan my whole comp including the drive that I installed linux on and nothing came up. I used spybot 1.3 with most updated definitions and nothing appeared. I'm worried because Windows cannot detect Linux folder and only Linux can view window's contents. Is there a way I can scan my computer (inside Linux) to make sure that my linux folders aren't infected?

What do you guys think this is?
1) Me being too sensitive
2) someone hacked my computer
3) I got hit by virus/spyware
4) (anything else I haven't listed)

1) I think your being too sensitive.

Is there a way I can scan my computer (inside Linux) to make sure that my linux folders aren't infected?
You can scan your linux folders. I think there are about 40 known viruses for Linux, most aren't even in the wild. What distro are you using? There is AV available for Linux, but most are aimed at servers, but there are some.

I used spybot 1.3 with most updated definitions and nothing appeared.
I think spybot 1.4 is the latest version, you should upgrade.

If you so worried use Hijack This to check windows out. I wouldn't worry about linux. Have you been able to get into it yet?

Thanks for your response, I am able to get into both operation systems.

I am using Suse 9.3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom