Wireless Router And Speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACIDDROPPER

Baseband Member
ok so this guy that lives at my house wants to share my internet connection. right now its the charter 3mb service. he's hooking up a wireless router. so i asked him if the speed would be split and he said no. then his friend siad it might even go faster. what i wanted to know is if are they right and when they get the router working and everything, will it slow my connection?

Not too much, infact increase your speed, as Router makes connectivity efficent, but as well dependent on hardware.

I'll recommend getting the

Linksys Broadband VPN Router WRV54G

here is the Link: WRV54G

this will work on both Cable/DSL, provided that you have Ethernet connection.

and as well it has wireless built-in +VPN

sharing an internet connection won't make it go faster or slower. your bandwidth will remain the same. you are still going to get 3 megabits per second. lets say he's using 3/4 of the bandwidth at a given moment. that means there is 1/4 of it left for other people to use. the only times your internet will seem slow is either A) someone is sucking most of the download bandwidth OR B) someone is sucking most of the upload bandwidth. If all you guys do is browse simple webpages this will not affect speed at all. you have to be downloading a lot of files constantly or using a file sharing program and people leech off of you constanly for there to be a slowdown.

if he shares your internet I would make him pay for some of the costs including any hardware that needs to be purchased like a router. if you find that it is slower than before, that's when you have a problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom