Why is hotmail locking up my computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannyual767

In Runtime
I use hotmail for everything and everyone has my email address. Last week, I started having a problem with hotmail and only hotmail. BTW, I've got Windows XP.

Usually I'm able to log on but after about 5-10 mins, my computer locks up. I can barely unlock it with control-alt-delete. It locks the whole window. I can only use things on the lower task bar like the start in the lower left corner. I can open up other windows.

In fact, I just went back to hotmail (after being gone about 5-10 mins) and it had unlocked. I was on hotmail for about 5-10 mins and it locked up again :mad: . Now I'm finishing this post and I expect that hotmail will be usable when I go back.

I've run Adware, Spybot, disk cleanup, defrag and cleaned out all temp internet files and cookies. My wife even suggested to do a system restore to a period before we had the problem. Nothing seems to help. Can anyone help me? Thanks.

Your wife made a good suggestion. Try that.
You can also run CWShredder (download it)

What are your system specs?

Major, I did try the system restore last night and it didn't make any difference :mad: .

My computer is embarrassingly old and weak but it still works. Anyway here goes; 566 Celeron processor, 256 RAM and a whopping 14 GB of hard drive.

Someone on another forum said that my Java-applet may need to be upgraded :confused: .

Where do I get CWShredder?

:mad::mad:aaaaaarrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhh:mad::mad:

My computer gave me a "happy Thanksgiving" by completely locking up when I just checked hotmail.

It locks up so bad that control-alt-delete will not clear it. When I click on end task, the computer is so confused, it doesn't know what to do. I had to hit the reset button on the case :eek: .

I've run adaware, spybot and now CWShredder as well as clearing temp internet files, defrag and clearing cookies. I'm sure I've got some kind of bug but how do I find it? Not only that, my computer is working much slower than normal.

Turn off system restore for all drives, reboot and start in safe mode (press F8 before the loading screen)

Then run Adaware, Spybots, SpySweeper! (the best), CWShredder, Clear temp, cookies etc. Run Hijackthis and post the log file (don't fix anything) download hijackthis: http://www.techist.com/downloads.php

or just format your system :)

Also get another browser if you are using IE (check links in my sig)
Don't use Outlook Express either
and get all updates for windows from http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

Okay, Major. I'm going to try all those things that you recommend. This is really making me mad. Hotmail is locked up in another window as I type this :mad: !

Its late here and I've got to work tomorrow so I'll have to try these fixes over the weekend.

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom