VPN for 2 player "local networked" game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frylock

Beta member
Hi everyone, 1st post here and I wanted to say Great site! I got sidetracked for about an hour reading before I finally came back to post this hehe..

Anyways, myself and a friend were interested in setting up a VPN solely for the purpose of playing multiplayer games as though we were on the same LAN- and not having to use gamespy (or similar) applications/sites. I was just curious how that would work. I'm *somewhat* familiar with networking protocols, and how DHCP works, etc.

We started to use the VPN utility built into windows- he's behind a router and doesn't know how to configure it- so it didn't work. Before I drive all the way over there to set up his port-forwarding, I wanted to know if that would work for what we intend to use it for. ie: as soon as the VPN is established, and we open up LotR Battle for Middle Earth2- will we both be able to see each other on the "network games"?

I know for example when behind a router and using NAT, the ip/subnet is recognized for the two comps and deemed internal. I was just curious how that works with a VPN connection, how the (private?) IP adressing that kind of stuff is handled. TIA :)

Ack lol.. I forgot to include- If anyone knows of any free, user friendly, VPN software please let me know ;) security is not really an issue, as we're more concerned with the tunneling aspect, not encryption, IPsec, etc.

Or if there's a better way to go about achieving our desired result, pleast let me know as well- Thanks again!

http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking.htm

look for vpn server and vpn client

setup a vpn on one side and have it assign addresses within its private network; make sure they dont conflict with DHCP. The vpn client will establish a connection to the vpn server. It will be assigned an address from the server. You are now connected to the remote network as if you were setup locally. Anything you do on your home network, you should be able to perform over the vpn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom