Syllable Launches New Browser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Syllable Launches New Browser

The Syllable project has reached another long-time milestone. It was always planned to factor out the web rendering engine of its web browser, ABrowse, into a library with a native Syllable View widget on top, so it can be embedded into more applications than just a web browser. Kristian Van Der Vliet did just that: building on Arno Klenke's WebCore port, he updated that and then stepped up the modularisation by creating the WebView class. He rewrote the browser on top of that and named it Webster [screenshot]. The first alpha version is available in the project's applications downloads. The latest Syllable 0.6.6 development build is required to run it, as several bugs in the system were fixed for the new browser. The next development build will have Webster included. The source code is available on the development site.

[In announcer voice]Will this survive amongst the big boys? Only Time will tell?

I think it should be a ! not a ? at the end vern :).

I might try it out but I'll most likely switch right back to Opera. Too good a browser!

Darn foiled again...

but ya.. I'll try it out... I just love Firefox with its crazy add-on's..

I think I should try Opera though, if Mak likes it, it should be good.

Nope been using Opera for about 2 years now. So fast and reliable. The voice command guy is a lot cooler than Microsoft Sam too :p.

Well after just looking at the screen shot it does look like a older version of firefox. Like a generic version of firefox 1 or 0.7 version. This looks like it is based off the Gecko engine that firefox uses. So you probably wont see much difference in using this over Firefox, Flock, TheWorld, or many others that use this engine as well.

Just my opinion though.

Cheers,
Mak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom