Should your 12-year-old browse Facebook?

Dekkers23

Beta member
This is an interesting topic. My kid will be able to use computer well enough pretty soon and I have no plans on letting him use any sort of social networks for at least several more years. However, with his phone and with his friends using them too, perhaps he already has an account I know nothing about.

Well, as it is now, no. But being realistic, we must accept the fact that many of them are able to access Facebook just by lying about that age. On the Internet, that is really not that hard. Some reports, acknowledged by Facebook themselves, show that over half of parents with a 12-year-old child say that he/she has a Facebook account. If a kid is on Facebook (under 18), there's about a 2 in 5 chance that they are actually under the age of 13. So, with the recent reports of the US market losing love for Facebook, they have a new idea...

Should your 12-year-old browse Facebook?

This bothers me as a parent, but I personally feel we as parents are ultimately responsible for it and Facebook can't do much except limiting their Facebook access and remove advertisements for games and such for all registered under 18 years of age.

How do you feel about it and what's your take on our kids using Facebook?

It isnt as interesting as you think. You are in control of the PC as well as which phone the child uses. Get them a device that doesnt allow them access to such things and viola. Problem solved. You pay for their phone, so you have control on if they have data or not. If they dont have data, then they dont have access to Facebook.

When at home, setup the PC so that they are on a restricted user account. This type of account reports activities to the Admin account and viola. Problem solved.

Even better, break the tie from Facebook yourself and just flat out ban that site via the router and dont let any PC have access. We are responsible for our kids. It is on us to take charge and be in control. So dont sit there telling me that it is to harsh that I would do that to a 12 year old. I have my 13 year old nephew's PC and my entire sisters house network on lock down. She and her husband have the password and I get notified of any attempts to reach sites that shouldnt be gotten to. I know what my 13 year old nephew and my 8 year old niece are doing. At least I know that I have taken the right steps to prevent the internet from corrupting them at a young age. I know they are not seeing things they shouldnt see at their age. It is only responsible to do so. I was asked to lock it down for them, so I did. I feel better knowing that they are safe.

Put the computer in the main living room where everybody spends their time. This is how we had our computer when I was still living at home, and it worked out.

5% of 12 to 15 year age use Facebook so i think there is no problem that kid use facebook i think that's okay,

Allan

5% of 12 to 15 year age use Facebook so i think there is no problem that kid use facebook i think that's okay,

Allan

So what if 5% use it? 5% of kids under the age of 15 are also drinking, having sex and doing drugs. Does that mean that it is okay for them to do it just cause the minority is doing it? Please that is flawed logic at the best.

Yeah, again you gotta take responsibility on your child's actions. Put the computer in a place where everyone can see, such as the living room. Also, restrict what your children can do on their phone. You should know what your children are doing. If not, you are not taking enough responsibility.

Back
Top Bottom