Internet connection speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevlav

Solid State Member
Hi i have just had a 4mb internet connection installed at home and was wondering what the speed should be approx in kilobits per second. If a speed test was showing 3253 kilobits per second
would that mean my download speed was approx 3.2 mb ?? Also could someone plz tell me the speed in kilobits per second that a 10mb connection should be because i soon get upgraded to 10mb

I would be very greatfull is someone could clarify this for me

:confused:

well i think the connection you have is 4 megaBITS per second. and there are 8 bits in a byte. so that comes out to around 488 kiloBYTES per second.

so your test of 3253 kilobits/second reveals a 397 kilobytes/second connection....it 'should' be 4000kbits/second but that's fairly close.

as far as a 10mbit connection, that's 1.19megabytes/second. which is pretty darn quick. a worthy upgrade IMO

4Mbps = 4096Kbps = 512KB/s
10Mb = 10240Kbps = 1280KB/s = 1.25MB/s

Mbps = Megabits per second
Kbps = Kilobits per second
KB/s = KiloBytes per second
MB/s = MegaBytes per second

Ahh thanks guys lol i did learn all this when i did my NVQ in Installation and support of I.T. systems lol stupid me forget it all lol. As for my connection the actual speeds am getting in tests are from 3839 kbps to 3825 kbps so nearly 4mb but downloads seem slow and when i am downloading i get a transfer rate of between 96.6 kb/s and 149 kb/s would anyone say that was slow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom