Ie6 Not Loading Any Pages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oscillator

Banned
Only recently has IE6 stopped loading any pages, the common message 'The Page Cannot Be Displayed' is loaded, in the IE frame at the bottom it says for a short time 'res://C:\Windows\System\SHDOCLC.DLL/DNSerror.htm'.

Recently I installed a copy of Office from my brother-inlaw.

I also recently up-dated Spy Bouncer and it found a 'desktop surveillance personal spyware' called 'iun6002.exe' which I have since deleted. The funny thing is that in this files' properties it was created in 2003, it also referred to 'www.indigorose.com' which is a resource for compiling auto-installers.

I did look in my hosts file but it wouldn't have been it anyway as no page will load.

I have checked my 'Hi-Jack This' log at 'http://www.hijackthis.de/index.php' nothing is wrong.

What could it be? I need IE to up-date Windows & Office.

Lucky I have Opera and Firefox to get online.

i guess i should ask though what are the programs you use to scan for viruses and spyware?

That happened to me. Just get any other browser and you shoud be OK(FireFox is best).

After I posted I ran Lavasoft which I up-dated and it found over 10 references to Alexa and Adlogix. I had only ran it the day before with no finds.

Within 'System Information' I also used the 'Internet Explorer Repair Tool' under 'Tools'. This did not help.

I have searched with Google with the term 'res://C:\Windows\System\SHDOCLC.DLL/DNSerror.htm'. It brings back a lot of results but with no clear consensus on an underlying problem. Others have tried reinstalling IE6 but to no avail, IE must not be corrupt but other files or registry entries are causing the problem.

I downloaded 'SHDOCLC.DLL' from 'dll.com' as I though this might be the problem but Windows would not allow it to be replaced probably because it is in use. I didn't bother changing it then in safe mode or ms-dos. What is 'res://C:\Windows\System\SHDOCLC.DLL/DNSerror.htm'?

I use Spybot, Ad-Aware SE, Zone Alarm built in Spy Guard, Spy Bouncer, Spyware Blaster and I had Spy Sweeper. Over the top maybe but I am a hoarder.

My IE problem is not sorted out yet.

Getting another browser is a work around and not the solution to ever problem, I still need Windows and Office up-dates.

Someone else is bound to have an idea to what could be wrong.

i see alot of spyware software, but what are you using as a anti-virus?

what windows do you have?

I'm using AntiVir & Avast with the AntiVir Guard on always. It always catches the worms from Warez sites and deletes them straight off, the same with p2p downloads. Avast has also picked a couple of visuses up that AntiVir missed.

I'm only on Win98.

Would Microsoft have wreaked it when I was going to up-date my illegal copy of Office which was to large so I didn't bother.
(not meant to be read by Tyler, I no it's my own vault for being a criminal).

By the way do you require Office security up-dates only to secure the e-mail and web components of Office, cause I don't use them or do you require them for your overall security of your system.

well as far as updates go you shouldn't worry about that because i far as i know they don't make them for win98 anymore.

same goes for office, whatever office package your using just find the latest service pack for it and that's all you need.

i don't think windows messed with your computer, there not quite that brave.

have you been to your control panel and tried to use the repair option?

although you do have alot of protection running i suspect the reason this has happened it because something got through at one point and took a hammer upside IE's head.

What the MS-DOS command to copy -

C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\shdoclc.dll

to here and copy over it here -

C:\WINDOWS\System\shdoclc.dll

Windows still uses the file in SAFE-MODE.

Was going to download IE7 BETA but it is only available to MSND subscribers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom