Google to shut down Google Reader

Yeah read about it yesterday myself. They say from a dwindling user base?!? How so? I have not seen so much news about a single RSS READER EVER. Yet they claim to keep losing people?

Bad thing is most other products use GReader as their base. So using things like Feed Demon isn't going to get anywhere as that syncs with GReader. Not all RSS Feeds are compatible with the one built into IE, Chrome doesn't have one by default. Meaning I might have to bust out Opera and its built in RSS to get my news from now on. UGH!

I use "Reeder" for my iProducts and on my desktop I tend to use google.com/reader

Trying out alternatives.. suck

I hope they open source this like they open sourced Wave.

Ugh, I just signed up for this not that long ago too. Never messed with RSS feeds and google reader did seem to be the easiest to use...now I feel like it was a moot point. Sigh.

Any decent alternatives you come across iFargle, let us know.

None yet for mobile. Reeder has said they will have an alternative to Google Reader when it goes down. feedly seems like a decent mobile + web experience (they wont die with google reader) but I just want a stream of articles, not a newspaper layout.

I was using gReader (unofficial android version, looks/works a lot better). I'm just tired of remembering what websites I want to read stuff on lol.

I'm using Feedly, simply because the transition is easy. You just have to sync with your Google reader account and everything will be imported for you. Doesn't have the look and feel of Google Reader but it function really well. Also you can customize the look and feel somewhat to your liking.

Never heard of it but I believe Adobe reader is most popular anyway...

They are totally different things: Adobe reader is a PDF viewer whereas Google reader is a feed reader.

EDIT: I never used Google reader, but this news has created a fair bit of publicity for alternative RSS readers. As I result of that I have found Tiny Tiny RSS and installed it on my server. I can highly recommend it but it does involve a more technical set-up than running an installer like a desktop application.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom