Firefox refusing to open but runs in background. Why??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mogite

Baseband Member
Last night I tried to open Firefox and after clicking on both the quick start icon as well as clicking on it via the Start button ---> Programs menu and getting nothing, I checked task manager and found that it showed firefox.exe under the processes list. I tried rebooting my pc then tried opening firefox only to have the same thing happen again. I then tried opening IE and the same thing happened. I tried opening Yahoo im and it opened fine but I rebooted my router & modem anyway just to make sure it wasn't because of a network issue. That didn't do anything to fix the issue. I then ran a quick scan for viruses with my anti-virus program(Avast) and it found nothing. I also ran Spybot S&D and Maleware Bytes but neither found anything other than Spybot finding spyware from "Right media" which I fixed. I then tried opening IE on my gf's pc and it opened fine. I then started closeing various programs that usually run in the background on my pc. During this process I finally managed to get IE to come up but unfortunatly I'm not sure what specific action I took that got it to open. Nothing I did got firefox to open. I finally deceided to go to bed because I was tired & frustrated.

This morning I tried again and initially neither browser would open but then IE came up and I've been using it since. At one point, a little while ago, Firefox unexpectedly opened. At the time I had just gotten a message from WinPatrol telling me that something called "IETAG Factory" was trying to change/update the registry. I declined to allow it but it's when I clicked on a tab to get more info that Firefox opened. First thing I did was update Firefox to the most current version hoping that would help. After it downloaded the update it said it had to reboot so I did so. It rebooted & came up again fine but when I closed it and attempted to open it again it didn't open and I havn't been able to get it open since though it still shows in the proccesses tab in Task Manager. As I type this it shows 2 instances of firefox.exe. One is using 69,136 K and 0 CPU and the other is using 30,796 K and alternating between 0 & 1 CPU. One of my gf's co-workers told her that there are browser viruses that are hard for anti-virus programs to detect because of how they are designed. I have no clue as to whether that's true. That's pertty much where I'm at to this point. I havn't tried a system restore yet though I certainly can. I havn't only because I'd like to have a better idea what's going on. Any help with that would be greatly appriciated.

My OS is XP Pro. The programs I normally have running in the back ground are Avast Antivirus, WinPatrol, UniBlue Registry Booster 2, Spybot Regisrty-SD Resident, & Dell Support Center. None of those are new programs. I've been running them for months if not years. The most recent download I did (other than the Firefox update) was an updated patch for a game I have called Civilization IV. The game worked fine after the download and I didn't find any notes about any issues with the patch like the one I'm having. My gf used my PC the night before last with no issues.

What do I need to do to resolve this?

Uninstall Firefox completely (including the folder C:\\Users\youraccount\App Data\Roaming\Mozilla).

Once that is done, reinstall Firefox and your extensions.

Just thought I'd share a reply (as well as my response) I got to this same post that I made in a Mozilla Forum.

"Start by trying the standard diagnostic or corrective actions:
Have you tried starting Firefox in Mozilla Safe Mode? Safe Mode - MozillaZine Knowledge Base

Do you have the same problem if you create a new profile and test it with no extensions or non-default themes installed?

Profile Manager - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
and
Creating a ne - MozillaZine Knowledge Base ... on_Windows

Also see Standard diag - MozillaZine Knowledge Base ... Firefox%29"

My response:

I tried opening it in safe mode and it did so.

I created a new profile and that profile opened each time I tried to open it. I then tried opening my personal profile and it opened fine. Tried several times and it opened fine each time. Why would it suddenly start working fine just because I created a new profile? That's got me stumped!

Dunno. Wiping everything from your installation would have done the same thing, though, but you wouldn't have had your old profile to go back to.

Glad you got it sorted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom