Not open for further replies.

ckop11

In Runtime
Which one is better?

I looked through some threads on this site comparing firefox to IE7

What about the Latest Firefox
compared to IE8?

How do they compare?

Sorry if a similar thread has been posted fairly recently and i missed it.

It is a personal choice. That is it. It doesnt matter what I say, sorry Soul but it doesnt matter what you say. It doesnt matter what any person on this site or any other site says. It is nothing more than a personal opinion on which browser is better for any reason.

You have to find the browser that works for you.

IE8 has some addons that make it useful. The Web Slices is a cool feature and it has some other things that are nice as well. The Open Tab displa option is nice to use when you have multiple sites open.

Firefox has great support and following. It has Extensions which allow you to customize the browser to your liking. Adding, subtracting or changing the browser to do what you want.

Chrome is the new comer and is coming on strong. The latest builds have additional things that are not in the Chrome 4 release, such as auto fill. The Beta has support for the Chrome Extensions which are almost as many as Firefox now and can do as much as the Firefox ones when it comes to making the browser your own.

Opera is good to use, if you are willing to take the time to learn how to do the things you want with it. It isnt as cut and dry as Firefox or Chrome where you just click to install stuff. If you put in the work you will be rewarded with having a browser that does what you want.

Safari is the Apple Browser from OS X on Windows. There are a few things that can be done with it. Like using a custom CSS file to remove ads. But overall it doesnt offer much in terms of customization. Even less than IE does. but it is decently quick.

I will create a topic and give links for each browser. That way people can read that and decide for themselves.

I prefer Firefox, it has proved to be more secure then any of the others. but it has had some recent draw backs on security.

IE8 has caused a lot of problems for users , they tend to stick with IE7, but IE uses activeX which opens up security issues.

Safari just had some major security loopholes

Opera and Chrome I have not worked with enough to give an opinion.

The ActiveX issue was resolved before IE7 was ever released. Users must now give permission for an ActiveX control to even be installed and they should only do that on sites they trust. So dont blame IE for a user just clicking a button without knowing what they are clicking.

Firefox 3 has actually had more security issues than IE8 has had. It is just that Firefox gets patches more frequently and people only see the reports of "flaws" in IE8 cause they spread like wild fire. But there has been less patches for IE than Firefox 3 since they both were released.

Safari has had some major issues, but mainly due to WebKit. They were using an older version of it and there was a flaw in it. They have finally updated to the latest version to plug that hole.

Opera has released 10.52 Beta and are planning a release soon from what i read. To plug up some bugs in the final release of 10.50 that happened not long ago. They did release 10.51 due to a bug and vunerability. But that is already fixed if you are up to date.

Chrome is well, Chrome. There is said to be flaws, but they are patched just as quickly as they are reported. A benefit of being from the biggest search engine provider out there.

Hey Mak, you know how all the browsers out there work fine with this site EXCEPT Internet Explorer? Why is that?

Apart from the webslice thing, which is pretty cool, even the experts will agree it's lagging behind the other browsers. If you go out and google around for the 'best' browser, you won't find any site recommending Internet Explorer (except for maybe microsofts site :p)

The whole moral is, it is a personal preference. Osiris uses IE8. He is very well known on this site. He is the Security guy and yet he is using the browser that people are claiming to be the worst one on the web. How can that be that our lead security guy is using such a infected browser?

Simple it works for him. Just like every site you talk about with the "experts" is nothing but their personal preference. Just because some well known person says they use a browser and they are considered an expert does it make it correct. I am considered an expert on this site and i say Chrome. Does that make me more right than Osiris who says IE8 is fine? No of course not.

It is just like taking Wikipedia as the end all of being nothing but facts. Heck you want proof, just check the Browser List topic. Heck go to Wikipedia right now and search Firefox. They still claim that Firefox started with version 1.5 but yet you can go to Major Geeks and fine version 1.0 of the browser in their archive.

Being an expert doesnt always make them right. The right browser is the one that works for the person using it.

Dang, sorry must have cut that part out when i re-read my post before submitting it.

The truth is that it doesnt render part of the CSS used on the Baez skin properly. Now the real question is this. Ie9 which is both HTML5 and CSS3 compliant also doesnt render the site correctly. So the question to ponder is, is it truly IE that isnt rendering the site properly or is it the other browsers that are not rendering it properly?

Cause if the browser is using the most recent W3C standards for CSS then why it is that the user bar at the top is hidden? When i access the site in IE it does pop up, but then disappears. So it must not be handling some aspect of the CSS improperly.

I know Baez knows about this issue as it has been brought up to him several times. The trick is figuring out which part of the CSS, IE or the other browsers, is not handling correctly to get it shown or hidden. Cause the trick is that when it comes to CSS if the browser doesnt support the code, it just doesnt do anything with it.

So again the question comes up, is it IE or every other browser that is not handling something properly? Cause it could very well be that the other browsers are not handling that aspect of the code properly so it rejects it and shows the bar. It could also be that IE is not handling it properly and hiding the bar as well.

The trick comes down to figuring out which question is the right one to ask and how to tackle the issue properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom