Critical Security Flaw Discovered In IE & Firefox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Critical Security Flaw Discovered In IE & Firefox
If you are a Firefox user with IE installed (most of us), you need to be aware of a new security flaw that can lead to your system being compromised.

A user could face a "highly critical" risk if they have both IE and Firefox version 2.0, or later, loaded on their computer. The trouble begins when they begin browsing a malicious site while using IE and it registers, a "firefoxurl://" URI (uniform resource identifier) handler, which allows the browser to interact with specific resources on the Web. A user, as a result, may find their system remotely compromised.

Firefox and IE together brew up security trouble | Tech news blog - CNET News.com

Definitely not good news. I seldom use IE, but I do use it. Or, rather, I use IE Tab in FF, which is the same thing.

The reasons why there are no critical security flaw in opera as much as firefox or IE is because Opera is not popular.

But who cares, I pretty sure that they will fix the security flaw very soon with a new update firefox 2.0.0.5, .... and if there were no FF I would use something like IE7 or Netscape, but I would never use a garbage like opera or safari

The reasons why there are no critical security flaw in opera as much as firefox or IE is because Opera is not popular.

Many, including myself, would say that's the biggest difference between IE and Firefox, too. ;)

Edit: Of course, the "security through obscurity" argument is untestable until they become more popular. Opera may just be better coded, but you wouldn't be able to tell if this is or isn't the case until people are actively testing it. Same goes for firefox and MAC OSX and other similarily "more secure because less used" programs.

Many, including myself, would say that's the biggest difference between IE and Firefox, too. ;)

Edit: Of course, the "security through obscurity" argument is untestable until they become more popular. Opera may just be better coded, but you wouldn't be able to tell if this is or isn't the case until people are actively testing it. Same goes for firefox and MAC OSX and other similarily "more secure because less used" programs.
You're giving the reasons as why to avoid Opera. Gotcha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom