Complete System Lockup- Can you help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultra Steel

Baseband Member
Hello folks, I have a fairly bizarre issue with my most important and high use PC.

When browsing the web (hence my choice of this forum) my PC spontaneously, instantly freezes. I mean completely- if music or sound was playing, it repeats or drones, the keyboard and mouse "turn off," the screen freezes, and nothing I do has any effect except a hard reset or power button shut down.

This has happened with three (3!) browsers- Firefox, Google Chrome, and IE8. I can do anything and everything else for hours on end- like high end gaming, without incident. This system has been stable (even overclocked) for more than a year, with no serious viral infections; Norton has caught them all before they got their teeth in my system, so far as I know.

Complete Symptoms, Regardless of browser:
-Multiple tabs open (2-4 at a time)
-amount of browsing time varies- its not every 10 mins, or half hour.
-at least 1 web page running flash (Several times- Facebook was active screen)
-click on a link(anything), the following happens...
PC freezes, lights go off on keyboard and mouse. neither responds, even if plugged/unplugged, or plugged into a different USB slot. Plugging in a different mouse also obtains no result.
Waiting 10+ minutes doesn't correct the problem

Here's some quick system info:
Windows Vista with all updates, 2.14 Ghz Intel CPU (Overclocked to a measly 2.3Ghz), 4GB RAM, Norton AV and firewall, Threatfire.
Microsoft Keyboard
Logitech Gaming mouse
All proper drivers and updates.

More things to keep in mind:
-I'm not a tech newbie, I'm an A+ Certified tech working as systems admin in an IT field. (This is really ****ing me off!) Full A/V scans and Threatfire scans turned up nothing.
-Removed all traces of Flash from Windows/Firefox plugins and restarted. When I went back to Adobe to reinstall, the browser crashed again. Have been unable to browse long enough without Flash to rule flash out, because all the place I need to go use flash. End up reinstalling flash after a short time of stable work. But (as seen above) just going to Adobe's flash download page causes system freeze.

I don't think its hardware related, because it only happens when browsing. I do high-end gaming (WoW, CSS, many more) that use far more system resources.

What can be causing this system crash? Any help appreciated.

Thanks

This normally has to do with a failing Harddrive or bad RAM or even a bad PSU, but not always.

I would first disable as many un needed processors as possible through msconfig. ( I suggest this for almost anything)

You can perform a chkdsk to see if it may be the harddrive.

memtest for 4 hours to test memory.

a digital multimeter to test psu rails.

May also want to flash bios and reset all overclocks back to stock for the time being.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom