Help wanted

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
i am looking for a volunteer or two to help in updating a rather important thread:
http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/graphics-performance-list-212331/

I don't have the time to do the research and comparisons to get the proper rankings, nor will copy and pasting from somewhere else work as almost all of them are skewed toward the site's preference. Those who originally did this made sure to be impartial and I expect the same. I also expect whoever does this to stick with it as we have had enough of people starting stuff and quitting.

Updates can be posted or PMed to a mod or myself and it will then be copied into the OP of the thread.

Some thoughts for this: The list needs to be updated to include the newer/newest cards. It also needs to be expanded to include the various mid and low range cards as not everyone who comes here is only looking for the top performance. All the cards need to be properly ordered from best (best performance overall) down.

Another thought would be to split off the low and mid range cards into their own list incorporated into the main thread. Odds are we will have to create a new thread, but we will wait to see about that.

what info do you need for each card?

im guessing we need to pull info from the manufacturer. website or manual.

edit - maybe we should setup a wiki that could be updated on the fly with references.

Thats cool, and I would like too help as I have nothing to do. But I don't quite see how we are supposed to correctly order them. Surely it's always going to be up for debate whether one card should be above another ? and like you said many sites have a bias, so where do we obtain reliable data from ?

You would be better off scoring them I think. Out of 20 or something. Then you could see cards that scored 17/20 are basicly as powerful - just in different games.

What about the PSU list, Trotter? I think that is well outdated also.

One thing at a time. I plan to do something similar with the PSU guide but the graphics thread is more pressing.

what info do you need for each card?

im guessing we need to pull info from the manufacturer. website or manual.

edit - maybe we should setup a wiki that could be updated on the fly with references.

Mainly info would be pulled from benchmarking sites. Manufacturers' claims are known to be extremely unreliable and lopsided.

Thats cool, and I would like too help as I have nothing to do. But I don't quite see how we are supposed to correctly order them. Surely it's always going to be up for debate whether one card should be above another ? and like you said many sites have a bias, so where do we obtain reliable data from ?

You would be better off scoring them I think. Out of 20 or something. Then you could see cards that scored 17/20 are basicly as powerful - just in different games.

The list is a conglomeration of comparisons of all the cards. We aren't out to prove which card gives you the best per dollar/pound performance, but rather a metric with which people can easily see where a particular card stacks up in the overall scheme of things.

The rankings were compiled from several different sites using different benchmarking techniques in order to get a better overall picture. We aren't trying to be nitpicky, but we do want to give the best overall picture we can. Baez touched on some of this in the thread, especially in the first few pages.

Hardware Canucks and Anand were two of the primary resources since they're considered to be the most trusted in the review business. It takes a lot of sifting through since neither have a complete list but you can find ways to make the job faster.

The list is a conglomeration of comparisons of all the cards. We aren't out to prove which card gives you the best per dollar/pound performance, but rather a metric with which people can easily see where a particular card stacks up in the overall scheme of things.

how about we just go after pure performance of a card? many factors can go into a overall scheme. perhaps we can reach a level of overall scheme later. However, i think we would see a list quicker if we focused on one area.

also, i think a majority of people are most concerned with how fast the graphics card runs. lag is the enemy. but also, at what cost does this come.

since im not an expert on graphics cards ill post this q on the site.

What factors would you evaluate while trying to determine how well a graphics card performs?

speed, memory usage, power, temp, etc.

Back
Top Bottom