Osiris Spyware Guide - How to make it better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
I've been doing some Google searches on my site tonight and seen that a lot of people use it in one way or another. What I want to know is, how can I make this site better?

Should I leave it the way it is?
Use Wordpress?
Different template?

It seems pretty simple to me and others. I would like to see it used more often. Looking at the Google Analytics, I have been getting more traffic but not what I want to see. Still haven't hit the 100 mark, I think 70 visits in one day is the most and they probably came from my Twitter account by adding everyone and anyone. I average about 35 visits a day.

Any thoughts?

Without a doubt having the guide right on the page(s) would be much more efficent. Some people have a hard time downloading it cause of the infection. If they cant download it how can they follow it?

Of course it wont help them much cause if they have problems getting the guide it is highly unlikely that they will get the programs to clean their system easily....

But that is something that was stated a while ago, why not just have the guide as the page instead of Raring it up in .doc or .pdf format when you can just display the guide on the page. Saves people the hassle of having to get WinRar and Adobe Reader.

Wordpress could do it easily. I mean you can create multiple pages with each version of the guide, upload your screen shots and everything. then have the main page be the link.

You could also go for a different template. Really the thing is what do you want to do with it? We can sit here all day and night and give reasons why it should be done one way or another. But when it comes down to it you have to decide what is right for you.

Which way will be easiest to update? Which way can you make changes to easiest? Which way can you manipulate and get to look how you want it to?

Dont get me wrong your guide is great and i have suggested it and used it, but some people still prefer sites like GeekToGo and BleepingComputer which have the whole "School" thing that people go through and get "Certified" in this type of thing. So really 35 visits a day isnt that bad.

Biggest flaw is definitely that you have to download it.

You could use WordPress, but I think it would just be easier to use html/css to make a few pages with all the info on there.

Since you're the only one who needs to update it (I assume), and it doesn't seem like it's something you need to keep posting new articles, WordPress doesn't seem necessary.

OK, well I will start to work on a new page, I can leave the downloads as an option somewhere else in the site.

I'll let you all know when it's done on the test page before I go live. :D

I agree that the downfall of it is that you have to download it. Makes it harder for some people to use it instead of reading it directly on the internet, and makes it harder for people to get the newest version if they don't know one is out. If it was on a web page they could just go to the page and the revisions would be there for them.

I would agree with everyone else. I think a simple HTML/CSS page with the guide and then some alternative download links is the way to go. Infected computers will sometimes have a hard time even displaying HTML and CSS however, so another link to a text only version would also be useful.

Finally, with the guide being available only by download you are missing out on the search engine bots indexing the content of the guide. If you place the actual text of the guide in an HTML site then you are more likely to gain ranking on search engines.

Wordpress would be good if you want to blog about spyware removal and add contributing articles, but if you just want this guide as a static deal then just stick with simple HTML.

^^ fix the page title

Also wouldn't be bad to have some sort of a banner at the top of that page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom