2D Building Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

theparadox

Solid State Member
Our school district doesn't have a digital, editable copy of our building maps. We are looking for software that would let us create to-scale 2D maps of our buildings. We don't need a lot of detail like furniture. It would just need walls, doors, windows, and labels for room numbers, power, data, etc. Layers (of data, like color coding which rooms go to which IDF/ICC) would be helpful, but we could work without them. Also, we have some expansive buildings so it needs to be able to output at a decent resolution - blowing it up to print on 17x11 with legible room numbers is a must.
It is not an official undertaking so there is no money. It would make our lives a lot easier when planning projects and deployments. Right now, we just have a fuzzy copy of a ... copy of a map with hard-to-read out of date room numbers. It must be free (for non-commercial use at least).

Any suggestions? I've seen a few lists of 2D CAD applications but I'm looking for one tailored towards building design more than just 2D design.

CAD is just what you are looking for. CAD is what is used with almost all building designes. It is called Computer Aided Design for nothing. ;)

No offense, but that reply doesn't help me at all. Did I say I wasn't looking for CAD? There are countless CAD apps out there! It's not like one can google "CAD" and download the program called "CAD" that will do exactly what I'm looking for. The apps I'd seen after a little searching weren't oriented towards *2D* design for *buildings*. There are non-free apps that are meant for home design complete with a 3D walkthrough, furniture, wall paper...but I don't need all that...and its not free.
The needs are simple, and it would be a waste of time to use something like SketchUp when all I need is a birdseye view of to-scale walls (length only) with symbols for doors and windows. Like a simplified blueprint.
It would also be a waste of time to use an application like Wildfire (not free) which is geared toward mechanical design.
We have 9 buildings with hundreds of rooms a piece. It's not a simple project and we'd like to make it as simple and efficient as possible. I was hoping someone might know of something free we could use.

Well sorry that you can not take the best possible answer. Since you wish to just have at me instead of taking some genuine advice fine. I can understand that. But if you want simple. USe GIMP or photoshop to create a flat model. Just use boxes and be done iwth it. Draw some lines for the wiring. Simpley put CAD is the best. Others do not compare.

Sorry you dont like the answer but it is the truth. Plus i moved this ot the Web Graphics are where design graphic software is discussed.

My request, not including a lot of detail I gave before it:
"I've seen a few lists of 2D CAD applications but I'm looking for one tailored towards building design more than just 2D design."
Your response:
"CAD is just what you are looking for."

I looked around already and know that you like to help people in this forum - this is why I was surprised that you gave such an unhelpful answer.
I assumed your response was that of an elite computer guru that was eager to make a fool out of me - your answer appears somewhat sarcastic and got me defensive. Perhaps I jumped to conclusions? This search has been frustrating.

I have visited and looked through the exact result you are pointing me too, and others. I even installed and tested several of them. I'm waiting to hear back after registering for copies of others. So far, they are not what I am looking for. I hoped to ask people who had more experience instead of wasting my time trying every program on these lists that looks like it might fit the job (which I am still doing while I wait for reponses).

I have included more detail in my second post, just to avoid confusion.

I will be as specific as possible. I'm looking to essentially digitize existing building maps. Rooms, doors, and halls have numbers. Each room has a door, power, and data ports. Wall thickness is not important. Making sure the walls are to-scale - Wall A is 30 feet, wall B is 15 feet. Wall A should be 2x as long as wall B on the final product - and I shouldn't have to eyeball it, like in MS Paint or GIMP. The buildings are relatively large with over a hundred to several hundred rooms each, and each needs to have a visible room number. It will be printed on 11x17 paper so it can't be crippled to be unable to output at a decent resolution. Our current paper map has pixelated room numbers that are often impossible to read.
A plus would be the ability to add layers, such as the example I gave before - coloring rooms based on the IDF/ICC that it is directly connected to. Or each classroom would could have an additional label with the teachers' name.

The problem is that I've used some decent 3D CAD applications and am looking for the ability to add relationships - such as "This wall is attached here to this wall" - so that when changes are made to one object, other unlocked objects will adjust themselves. However, I am working in a strictly 2D environment. Perhaps I'm looking for too specific of a program?

Let me also add that I AM looking for CAD - but CAD geared toward this kind of thing. I doubt I'll find it now that I've gone through so many apps already. I may end up using a CAD program that is much more complex than I need and will take loads of extra time to work through just so this can be done.

Paradox i have sent you a Email to respond. But to answer your question as simply as possible. CAD will be your best bet. The other design applications out there just do not compare. You can get complex with Photoshop and all that it offers but it still pales in comparison to CAD.

Sorry for the mis-communication. I was not trying to be sarcastic or acting Elite in any way. That is not my way. I jsut try to provide the best possible answer for a given question.

I've been hearing lots of good stuff about Sketch Up from Google. Good free software, probably fine for what you need. I wouldn't expect any other freeware cad apps to be any better.

You can check out CadVance as well, they are giving away their old 6.5 version that was current until the late 90s. It was formerly high end professional software back in the day so it's sure to be powerful enough for you.
CADVANCE 6.5 Form

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom