what is so great about Mac/Intel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

island woman

Solid State Member
I'm thinking of switching to MacPowerbook . I'm fed up with Windows problems-I keep reading I should wait to buy a powerbook but for a layman computer user---- Why should I wait to buy a Mac Powerbook ? When should the New Intel one become available? And what will be so different about the new Intel Mac for the average user? I do mainly Photoshop -web surfing and a few documents-no gaming -no video editing

"I wan't to kill Meeself. I don't want to live anymore..."

There is vary little programming documentation for PowerPC processors. That's why there arent many new Mac programs on the market. :( no-one knows how to program on a Mac. :(

On the other hand, everyone knows how to program for an Intel chip, so there's going to be alot more programs available for Mac OS.

Just get yer PowerBook now, because Mac OS X dosn't support Direct CPU coding, so all of your old programs are still gonna work. :)

I personally hate the idea of an Intel or AMD chip in a Macintosh. It makes me want to vomit!
:mad: :cool:

Nope, I highly advise you wait. As soon as the mac x86 products begin production, they will hardly support the PPC platform, maybe for a year or two, but I wouldn't expect more than that. It's like video game systems, once the new is introduced, the older one slowly fades away. The new powerbooks will also have the Intel Yonah CPU's, which are much more powerful than the current PPC G4 CPU's, and consume a healthy amount of energy. Although the Intel Mac Powerbooks aren't expected for about a little less than a year, the iBooks are expected by this summer. If you don't wait, I think you'll regreat it. If you are desperate for a Powerbook now, I'd advise buying a certified used iBook off of Apple and then buy a nice Intel Powerbook in a year.

"I need something sharp..."

He's Lying. He's an Intel fanboy. PPC G5's are more powerful than even Xeon 3.1ghz CPUs. (I think AMD Processors might be better somehow.)

And like i said before, as long as you have os X panther compadible programs (Like Photoshop CS2 for OS X) You won't have to buy a new program that works for Intel Based Macs. It just dosn't use Direct CPU code instruction, so everyting is emulated. If you get a PPC Mac now, and a Intel based Mac later, you can use the same program.

I wish i could protest Apple moving to Intel CPU's somehow. I really can't stand it. [/crying] :( :cool:

ATIRAGEPRO, PB's don't have G5's. The G5's are so hot they need water cooling. The intel cpu will be much faster than current G4's.

I don't like the idea of propriety hardware, but most any operating system is better than Windows. I use Linux, but for a novice, I recomend Mac OS X. Windows.. Just sucks.

Except they never got them into Powerbooks. It's amazing IBM could never make at least a single core 3.0ghz, never mind a dual core. There quad cores aren't even really quad cores though, there two dual core CPU's together. Before anyone decides to yell at me, I'm mac based.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom