I'm thinking about getting a Mac... help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meri

Beta member
I really have no idea what I need to get or what I want - but I've been on the Apple site and I've been looking at a couple models. I am pretty computer literate - but sometimes I don't know everything... so I don't know what to get! o_O

What I want it for: I love writing, web page work... and I adore Adobe Photoshop! I looooove scanning my works in and coloring/editing them with that thing... so much fun! :D I also love saving every CD I have ever bought onto my computer - so I need lots of space etc. I also like online games like WoW. Can anyone recommend something for me? I don't want to spend a lot of money (like $5,000 or something crazy) so what do you guys think?

Reasons I want a Mac: I've had PC's pretty much my entire life - but in the past four years I have gone through four friggin PC's due to viruses and everything else under the sun. I've spent all this money on virus protection (too many to count!) and trying to get them fixed only to tell me that my computer cannot be fixed... ever! o_O I noticed that my sister and brother-in-law's Macs have been around since forever... they just keep working. I want one too! I'm tired of shelling out all this money to get a new computer. I just want one that works – and might stay around for the next four years or so.

Sorry for the ungodly long post - just needed to get that off my chest.

GET A MAC! They are awesome, they don't get all screwed up all the time, and as you said, they last a while. My parents bought a Mac in '97 or '98 and they still have it and use it daily. While it would be impossible to play any new game, you can use word processors and the internet pretty well. You can get a cheap Mac with a nice video card and a gig of ram, and it will be fine for the next 5 years or so. (I'm assuming)

My parents just spent $5000 on a Macintosh G5 for me, and even though it's a ton of money, it will be awesome, and it will be really good for a while.

If you don't want a Mac, I'd recommend buying a Dell. I am on a Dell right now and it's OK, but isn't good enough for my hardcore needs. A great thing about Dells, is they are DIRT CHEAP. This 2 Ghz piece of crap with 256 ram to begin with was about $1300 in November 2002.

The reason I didn't buy a Mac in 2002 was because I hadn't been enlightened yet by the wonderful Macintosh.

Oh! I definitly want a Mac! There is no way in heck I'm getting another PC computer - much less a Dell computer! o_O *brain explodes at the thought* As long as they are stable and last for a long time (even if I am online 24/7) then it's a computer that I want/need.

I know what ram and what gigs are... but is a G4 processor good? I've not learned about those things yet. (feels stupid!)

If you can afford it, definitely go for a G5 processor. If youre looking for a quality computer thats quite affordable, but still packs a punch, the iMac G5 really will do well for you. Its a great powerful all around computer, though I would not recommend it if you want a gaming rig (for that I suggest a G5 tower).

Well, lets see. Actually suggesting a Mac:

If you need a lot of space, and some average Photoshop performance, I would suggest getting the new iMac G5 either with a 17 or 20inch screen built right in. Either a 1.6 or 1.8GHz processor would do you good, with the right amount of ram. I suggest a FLAT MINIMUM of 512MB or RAM. With it, you get 160GB of Hard Drive space, which I think is okay. If that doesn't work out for you, you can go with the Single Processor 1.8GHz PowerMac, which is pretty cheap, and you configure it to your needs here:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?family=PowerMac

Make sure you select the one on the left with the single processor. That comes standard with 80GB, and 256MB of RAM.

If price is not an problem, go with the more powerful Dual Processor PowerMacs. If you need any more assistance, you PM me or post here or something. :)

Deffinitely go iMac or eMac (depending on your budget situation) The all-in-one genre is the perfect first Mac. :) The new iMac is quite adept at games and Photoshop (thank you 64 bit processing :D) But the eMac is no slouch either.;) But if you need it to last you a very very long time, go for the iMac, or the PowerMac. A maxxed out PowerMac is more-or-less future proof, so a Maxxed out iMac or a 'nicely equipped' PowerMac would still last you a good 10-15 years <<disclaimer :rolleyes:>>(depending on your usage and needs)

But congrats on the decision to go Mac! :D I think you'll be very pleased :)

WHAT!?!*&^#% 10-15 years!? Wow, what's in your head, man?? Within that time, 3 or more generations of computers will/would go by! I think that a well equipp iMac/PowerMac or a Maxxed out PowerMac will last about 5-7 years. Believe me, that's a very long time. 15 years? There will be 3 newer versions of the PowerMac. lol

Lasha said:
WHAT!?!*&^#% 10-15 years!? Wow, what's in your head, man?? Within that time, 3 or more generations of computers will/would go by! I think that a well equipp iMac/PowerMac or a Maxxed out PowerMac will last about 5-7 years. Believe me, that's a very long time. 15 years? There will be 3 newer versions of the PowerMac. lol

It depends what he means by "last". The computer will physically survive 10-15 years quite easily. It may even still start up and use all original parts. However, the computer's usability is quite limited (3-4 years is usually the limit) as it ages and new products emerge. In this sense, a computer cannot last more than 4 years at the most.

These days a PC's usability is alot longer than previously, once they got fast enough to play dvd's,edit video, and other intensive tasks, after that the need for speed is mostly gaming,They may become obsolete from a technology standpoint pretty quickly but from a usefulness one I dont suspect a new G5 or emac will be disposable PC's.Ive got machines that are 10yrs old and still get used, they have their uses.Dont need much for websurfing or general office tasks.Even stuff like photoshop isnt that resource hungry, even with the bloated resource hungry OS's it runs on these days.

Apple stuff holds it value quite well too, shop around for old imacs, and powermacs, they command a high price in the used PC business and are still around.Their x86 architecture competitors in the same relative speeds sell for much much less, consdering at production time old PC's and Apple products were closely matched price wise than they are now, that says alot.

g5orbust said:
It depends what he means by "last". The computer will physically survive 10-15 years quite easily. It may even still start up and use all original parts. However, the computer's usability is quite limited (3-4 years is usually the limit) as it ages and new products emerge. In this sense, a computer cannot last more than 4 years at the most.

Yea, that's what I was reffering to. Not the physical condition.

Edit: I agree with you, horndude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom