G5 Network-Chip

Status
Not open for further replies.

public.a

Beta member
I have actually the problem that i can't use 100 MBit fullduplex on a G5 System.
If i select the 100 MBit fullduplex network throughput goes less 5000 kb/sec. which is significant less than the 100 MBit halfduplex-Mode gets trough (there i have a throughput about 10000 kb/sec). we are using Nortel-Switches and for this Problem i opened a call at Nortel.

Now they want to know which type of Network-Chip Apple is using in it's G5-Series.

That leeds me to my Question:

Does anybody know the Type of GigBit-Ethernetchip which Apple uses in the G5???

I asked at Apple direct, but they could not get me an answer...

Wow, thats a tough question. Do you mind being a bit more specific on what you want to know? Do you want to know who makes the controller chip or the port? This information wont be easy to come by (Im not even sure that the manufacturers of components for the G5 are made public), but I may be able to find it out if you gave a more specific question.

Hi,

i need to know the manufacturer and the type (e.g. Realtek 8139) of the controller chip, i already tried to get the information via the Mac-Adress, but all i could find out is that it's owned by Apple ;(

In the mean time check whether the other boxes on the network have there cards set to auto negotiate the connection type, half duplex or full duplex etc.

If they are, set them all to the desired connection type manually, ie. don't select the 'auto' option. Not all ethernet card manufacturers implement auto negotiation in the same way which means that some cards don't play nice and it can really slooooow down your network.

We already tried all the options, but if we set G5-NIC and the port on the switch to 100 MBit full-duplex, the troughput is much less than on the 100 MBit half-duplex mode.

I apologize but all I can find is that Apple makes its southbridge and inside of that is the gigabit ethernet controller. There may be something wrong with your port or it may possibly be on shared bandwidth with something else, which would inhibit the speed. What kind of cables are you using? Cat5? Cat5e? Cat6?
By the way, Im going to copy this thread to the networking forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom