Application Compatibility Issues with Apple Computers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really don't remember if he had a thread for it or not, it happened quite a while ago. He ended up switching to Ubuntu 8.10 so it's not a issue anymore.

Sorry if my previous post sounded harsh, I didn't intend it to be but reading it over again it kind of sounds that way.

Hi. Not at all, lol :happy: (says me with a makeshift voodoo doll, j/k :freak:).

It was an issue with the Airport when upgrading to OS X 10.4.10 if I'm not mistaken. I think a solution has been found for this problem at the end of the following thread: Apple - Support - Discussions - Wifi connection bad since upgrade to ....

Alvin I am well aware of some aspects of apple particularly OSX an wifi and while OSX works out the box they are only really testing stability of patches on the newer intel based machines and the PPC based systems can frankly be damned Zmatt has this problem.

I know that mac's seem attractive at first but trust me when you have a issue alvin you will find it hard, and when they push some major updates up down the wire you will get problems.

FreeBSD while it lacks the polished out the box look of OSX you can achive this in under half a hour if you follow some basic tutorials found on any place on the web, while like all community built OS's it has some hardware issues it has the best documentation for work arounds and most wireless cards are supported if not at first you can easily fix it with NDIS wrapper or compiling a custom kernal.

Hi All,

Thanks for your reply. I'm a noob to the Mac world. So a lot of terms mentioned in your message are Greek to me. I need to do more research on Mac notebooks.

How do you dual boot two different OS on a machine?

I'm assuming you were able to install Window's XP on a Mac, correct? Once the Window's XP OS installed on the machine, I don't see the incompatibility issues.

I've always thought no Microsoft products can be installed on a Mac computer. I'm abit of confused.

Hi All,

Thanks for your reply. I'm a noob to the Mac world. So a lot of terms mentioned in your message are Greek to me. I need to do more research on Mac notebooks.

How do you dual boot two different OS on a machine?

I'm assuming you were able to install Window's XP on a Mac, correct? Once the Window's XP OS installed on the machine, I don't see the incompatibility issues.

I've always thought no Microsoft products can be installed on a Mac computer. I'm abit of confused.

Since 2006, it's been possible to install Windows on a Mac (either as the only operating system, or in a dual boot configuration with OS X). Here's some information about Bootcamp in OS X: Apple - Get a Mac - Why you'll love a Mac. Quite simply, Bootcamp (which comes with the OS X operating system) allows you to create a Windows partition on the hard drive, install Windows, and install all the necessary device drivers in Windows.

It's unique design of the GUI in both hardware and software, they just look different, providing an extrordinary user experience.

Sorry mate, but that sounded like a sales pitch, lol.

You have to install XP as a FAT32 partition if you want to be able to see and edit files on the windows partition from within OSX.

But please mate. I speak from personal experience of spending over $1300 on my hunk of junk MacBook. Don't get it.

Especially the air, it's only that expensive because it's thin. Whoop-de-do.

This kinda sums up how I feel about the MacBook Air...

2212112946_c587e25cc9.jpg

Guys,

Thanks for the input. I bought a iMac 24" instead. I would stick with OS X and I'm enjoy using it.

Apple's vertical integration doesn't always work as well as you would expect, just ask Zmatt. An OSX update broke the wifi on his Powerbook and Apple doesn't have a fix for the problem.

I still have nightmares........

The carnage! NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

On a more serious note, every Macbook Air user I meet I mock. The only thing it has going for it is its thinness and its a gimmick at best. It sacrifices too much in the usability department. It has practically no ports, a non-user replaceable battery and slow hardware. You can get a much more powerful laptop for far less. IMO macs are a waste in general.

If you want a GUI other than windows use Linux, at least then you aren't being charge $150 for being different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom