XP Network problem on one machine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys,

Thanks again for all the help and suggestions. I have ran the Network Wizard several times, but still can't see any machines. However, if I type \\garysdesktop into the address bar, I can see the shared folders. Can't do that for any of the other machines though. I'l try and manually search for another driver

Regards,
GAH2402

something got jacked up with your spyware. Normally I would run these from a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults:
netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults:
netsh int ip reset reset.log

but it sounds like you already did. A repair installation on xp is an option at this point as well.

Hi Guys,

Found an updated driver, but it makes no difference. Every time I click on "View Workgroup Computers", all I get is the usual "Workgroup is not accessible. You might not have permission .......". On the odd occasion that I can see all or any of the machines, I get the same error (apart from the computer name instead of Workgroup) as before.

Regards,
GAh2402

Hi Guys,

Also tried the Winsock and Int Ip commands, but again no difference.

Regards,
GAH2402

here is an unorthodoxed thing to try. Put all 3 computers into a new workgroup ie garyhome or whatever. Restart all three and see what happens.

Hi,

Tried your suggestion. On the machine with the original problem, I can now see machines when I view network. However, when I click on the other two machines, I get my normal error. On the other two machines, I now can't view anything, although I can manually find those machines by typing their names into the address bar!

Regards,
GAH2402

p.s. Forgot to say that I re-ran the Network Wizard on all machines!

Hi Guys,

In spite of running all the tools in the Spyware Removal Guide, it appears I do have a virus. A scan this morning by AVG Free has unearthed "Trojan Horse PSW.Banker5.CIV" and it seems to be in "C:\System Volume Information\Restore".

Obviously I'll now post my Hijack This log.

Regards,
GAH2402

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom