XP 64 Bit ADSL PPPoA Dilemma!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damolee

Solid State Member
Hi folks,

I am new here, and have been pretty much scouting the whole web for a solution to an eternal dilemma.

Recently I changed ISP to an ADSL provider in order to get a faster 8MB service, in the UK they all use the PPPoA protocol.
Microsoft posted me my copy of XP 64 Bit Pro and therefore my old product key in trade has been taken, but the problem I am facing ....there isn't a single ADSL modem, NOT ONE that has 64 bit driver support. Sooo, back to the drawing board I figured that a ADSL/Router combination might do the job as it uses no drivers as such and I have been able to get my NIC working in XP 64 bit, onto the next problem .... because my ADSL provider uses PPPoA , I cannot run the RJ45 cable from the router to my network card as there is no way to authenticate my connection, I am hoping my theory is wrong on that one !!!!

Does anybody have any idea how I can get this thing to work?
Currently im running an internal ADSL modem that will never have 64 bit driver support, as part of the driver it places an icon in my taskbar ....connects to my ISP, it then detects via G.Dmt to authenticate and then I use the same 'ol dial in process to authenticate my user name and pass to get onto the network.
But as it stands, this initial authentication process using a Router won't happen, or will it ?

Please help me, Im at a complete loss!

Cheers,

- D -

ADSL modems dont require drivers... Unless PPPoA is a super propertiary standard, weird.

16 bit, 32 bit, 64 bit. Windows, Linux, Other. They all can exist on a network (And they all have on mine)

Yeah, PPPoA .....if used with a USB or Internal modem for ADSL does require drivers, where as PPPoE simply requires a working Ethernet connection.

Found a solution, I just have to purchase a router that is PPPoA compatiable and input the user / pass settings into the web browser setup for the router *Shrug* .....luckily my Ethernet card does work in XP 64. Shame I cant just hook that up directly to the line eh.

Yeah it's a shame and thanks for the PPPoA info, as nobody around here is doing it.

Unfortunetly Cisco are the only router I know of that supports PPPoA. They are very expensive.

However the older 827's seem to support it and they can be had very cheap.

The newer 831's also seem to support PPPoA, and if nessacary I can doubble check this for you since I have an 831

For some reason the whole UK ADSL infrastructure was built around PPPoA , why .... I do not know, but I have managed to find a fair few routers for around £50 that support it , luckily!

Thanks for ur help Chris.

Damolee?

Your problem is getting drivers so the lights can go green and you can connect!

Is it a Speedtouch 330?

Anyway, look on the company site under support and see if you can get any drivers if not!

Go for a Router, Netgear. :p

I hope you didn't swap XP Pro for the x64 one. :( .... I prefare Pro!

Any router you buy will be fine if it has a built in modem or you plug a modem into it. The modem does the PPPoA talking but after that it makes no difference at all, your router does not need to support PPPoA just your modem.

I'm runnig a BTVoyager240 fed into a Linksys WRT54GS and everything works fine with both computers fed into the BT router and the linksys router. (im in the UK too btw)

FItzjj your router does need to support it, the router needs to authenticate with PPPoA

However, a small number of "modem's" are excluded in this, mainly the one's that have some sort of a web setup

once the PPPoA packet has arrived at your modem (whether this be internal to the router or not) it is forwarded on its way an ethernet packet. The PPPoA session ends at the modem and not at the receiving computer - unless you are using a USB/internal modem in which case your drivers will sort everything out.

...i dont understand what your router needs to authenticate with.

PPPoA and PPPoE are authenticating your account, arn't they?

Your router handles your User Name, and Password, not your modem in most cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom