XP and 2K wired/wireless problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

dero

Solid State Member
I am trying to set up file/print sharing between a XP machine that is wired to a wireless router that wirelessly connects to a w2K desktop. My DSL modem is connected to the router and internet sharing hasn't been a problem for these two and the XP laptop I also eventually want to use file/print sharing with. I have set them both up with different computer names and I have used the same workgroup name. Niether computer can see eachother. Both have tcp/ip, client for microsoft networks, file and print sharing, and NetBEUI installed.

This is the first time I have attempted any sort of networking so I dont even know where to look.

Thanks

Can they atleast ping each other.

What you want to do is open up command prompt (Start Menu>Run>CMD) and find the IP address and host name for the computer (ipconfig /all) and use ping to test it's connectivity.

Pinging the IP address first will tell you that communication work at the lower layer, pinging the computer name will tell you that netBIOS is operating correctly, if the IP address works but the computer name doesn't, make sure netBIOS is enable.

Please check your firewall and make sure to disable them temporarily until the issue is resolved.

I was able to ping the 2k machine from the xp machine, but it would always time out on the second ping. I cant get anything when I ping the xp machine from the 2k machine.

Firewall was turned off.

I was unable to ping the computer name either way.

What kind of IP address are you using? Is it static IP or dynamic ip assigned by your router?

Also you need to run network setup wizard on all the machine if you haven't run it before.

It is in the control pannel and if you follow all the instruction carfully you will be able to see all the pcs.

But most importantly you should be able to ping all the computers in both the ways.

Try to sort this and do let me know

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom