Xbox 360 isnt allowed on my network

Status
Not open for further replies.

oot my chicken

Beta member
Hi there, I am in a current state of confusion. Firstly I shall tell you my set up.

I am one of 3 students in a house. Each of us have our own laptop and xbox. My xbox is connected (and used to work) by using a crossover cable from my laptop to the xbox, my laptop is runnings Windows 7 and is wirelessly connected to the Virgin Superhub, and I have connection sharing enabled which used to work just fine.

I have recently returned to the house and reconnected everything only to find I cannot connect to xbox live. I investigated this only to find that the LAN is not getting access to the network and therefore not to the internet. The assigned IP on my xbox is now 169.254.xxx.xxx which I have found to be assigned when the DHCP server does not respond and give the device an IP. My xbox is recognised by my laptop on the network.

When I try to connect the LAN appears as a public network which is unrecognised. This confuses me though, because I do not have much knowledge on how my networks work, as my friend suggests its nothing to do with the router but its because my laptop isn't assigning my xbox an IP.

So far I have switched off the windows firewall and that did nothing. I have tried using static IP addressing which also failed. I have switched the superhub on and off several times, and also reset the DHCP by logging into the superhub settings.

Another thing which confused me is that on my windows network map in the network and sharing center, and also on the superhubs settings, my xbox is assigned the IP address 192.168.0.6, and is also in a list of 'trusted devices'.

Any help would be much appreciated, and I am willing to provide further info if it means I can resolve this problem.
Thanks for reading.

Hey welcome to Tech Forums, may I ask you some questions ?
1.About your lan status look in your network settings and tell me what is the current connection ?
Pulblic,work or Home ? since your using this computer at your home and assign to network home location.

2.Look into windows firewall and make sure the os is letting your xbox 360 to have permission to access your netowork.

3.Check with the person or admin who runs the router and see if your network is setup correctly and add your mac address from your xbox 360 to the routers configuration and reboot it to save the settings.

I know of mostly what your problem is, as my wii had did that to me and it was matter of readjusting some stuff.
Xbox.com | Connect to Live - Find Your Console's MAC Address
Visit that link and that will get you moving on your xbox problem.
169.254.xxx.xxx that is a problem that needs to be looked into.
For now hit start, type cmd and type ipconfig/all look at the results and tell us if your computer and devices are pulling a ip address from your provider. ')

Firstly thank you for your reply.
  1. The network shows as an unidentified public network
  2. I have been on the windows firewall settings but I do not know what I am looking for in particular. Should I be looking at inbound or outbound connections? It says its allowing the internet connection sharing and I didn't spot anything else suspiscious looking.
  3. For this I have full access to the router myself. Which mac address are you referring to, the one my laptop assigns to the xbox on the network settings or the one which can be found in the ‘configure network' part of the xbox?
  4. I have done this and it says that my IP routing and WNS proxy are both disabled. It tells me a different mac address to the one on my network map which is also different to the one in the xbox config. It also doesn't show me the default gateway IP but says that DHCP is enabled. Could it be anything to do with IPv6?

1.We need to put you back on home network settings:
Choosing a network location

This will explain it alot more better than I could. ;)

2.Give your xbox a look and see if it detects your router and the pc if it does go inside the router if you have belkin or linksys or anything else do a search on how get in and put in your login information.
Look for mac addresses in that list and add on your xbox mac address and save it.
Look under a setting that says Choosing a network location
Try wireless mode setting 802.11b& and 802.11g if security is not of great need at your house turn off protection mode so that your console and other mobile devices have permission to use the network.
Beware that windows 7 will pick up your devices if its in probobing mode and looking to get on.
Allow it only if you know its your devices and grant it permission.

Last I meant to say that 169.xxx ip address, I meant you are not pulling any dynamic ip addresses currently through your isp through the router.

If you get the network straightened out and you still don't have the internet call up your isp and ask for advance technical support.
Most normal service reps don't know whats going on deep down in your router and when you have a wireless network. :|

There is no possible way to change the network setting for the xbox LAN connection as i cant click on the 'public network' which would usually be a link.
Also i am confused as to what you mean by have a look and see if the xbox is detecting your laptop and router because i dont know any way i can do that by interfacing with the xbox.
And the router is assigning dynamic IP's to everything else in the house, all 3 laptops and my house mates iPod too.
This is truly infuriating.

Disconnect everything, delete any networks you created, delete any static maps, then do the following.

1. Connect your laptop to the wireless internet.

2. Right click on the network connections icon in the taskbar (bottom right) and select Network and Sharing Center. Then click "Change Adapter settings" from the list on the top left

3. Right click on your wireless adapter and select Properties > Sharing. Make sure the "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's internet connection" tickbox is checked. Under "Home Network Connection", chose "Local Area Connection" or whatever your laptop's network port is called. Also, untick the "allow other user to control or disable" box, no sense leaving it ticked.

4. Double check that the lan port on your laptop as well as the lan port on the xbox are both cleared (i.e set to DHCP or automatically configure their IP addresses, no static). Then connect them with the crossover lan cable you have.

It's an IP address that you typed in yourself into the network adapter's config area. This area:
vista_static_ip_07.jpg

To delete it, just set everything to configure automatically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom