Wireless USB Adapter Or Internal Card??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eayes

Baseband Member
Hi, I need to make Dad's desktop wireless and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on weather an internal card would be better or one of the wireless USB adapters? Pros/cons. It seems like an adapter might have an advantage that some can be moved around possibly picking up a signal better. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

The internal one will probably be more reliable (faster/stronger connection) but if you get the USB one you can use it in other PCs.

I would personally use an internal if you could just for the reason that everything uses USB ports now, so the less you can use with other devices the better.

Speed, well USB 2.0 goes at 480 mbps and a normal PCI goes at 200 mbps. I don't know if they have PCI express for wi-fi cards.

Even if they did, lets pretend you have a PCI express 16x wi-fi card which can transmit data at around 6 gbps, there is NO WAY your internet is going to go that fast, especially wi-fi. You are probably capped at around 54mpbs or 100 if you have N.

So long story short, it doesn't matter because wi-fi speeds are not up to par with the bus speed that USB 2.0 or PCI can handle. So go with what is cheaper and more convinient for you.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. Good points all the way around. I'm going to look at what's available, reviews, etc. Leaning towards the usb only for the portability of it. Thanks agtain though, great thoughts as always.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom