Wireless trouble...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravenosu

Beta member
Hi, i just purchased a WPC55AG Linksys - Instant Wireless 5.0GHz and 2.4GHz Dual-Band A + G (also supports B)Wireless Notebook Card for my dad's computer to run on my wireless network. Im having a few problems though.
Currently i am running a linksys 802.11b router(with wireless). The problem is that the notebook card wont connect to the router and allow me to use the internet. I know the internet is working because i have a cat-5 cable connected to the router from my pc and it is perfect. When i go into the router's settings i see that the wireless mode is active.

What i see when i boot up the wireless program: It shows me that the card is installed properly, but it says cannot associate with access point. However when i go into the next menu, i see a connection or two that i can choose from. When i click one of these and press connect, nothin happens. YEs i did set the ssid the same on both devices, and installed everything as the manual told me to.

thanks
help is appreciated

Does your dad's computer have Windows 98? My friend had the same problem. We tried EVERYTHING. We ended up upgrading to Windows XP.

unfortunately he does :( :( And his computer is to slow to run windows XP (350mhz, 64 ram, 5gb HD) What is wrong with win 98?? The product says its compatible with 98.

You could go with Windows 2000, which I like better than XP, and it would run. You dont need to upgrade your RAM or nothing, because 2000 and XP know how to utilize small amounts of RAM better. Windows 98 may be your problem, but there may be more. Do you have WEP enabled? If you do, make sure all of the encryption settings are the same as the ones on the router. Try shutting it off, make things easier. Make sure you dont have any filters enabled either, or at least make sure they are confugured correctly. MAC filters, IP filters, etc...

Wireless networks are such a pain in the ass.

ravenosu wireless adaptors require at least win98 second edition. to find out if you have second edition press start button> all progrmas> accesories> system tools> system information

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom