Wireless router to Wired Router to Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

swardco

Beta member
I need help getting my wireless router to cooperate with my wired router so that I can use my laptop wireless and get to the interent. Here is what I have:
From the internet I go into a cable modem - From the cable modem I go into a OnQ wired router - From there I want to go into a SpeedStream 2624 wireless router and use that for internet access for my laptop.
Wired connections all work but when I unplug my machine and plug it into the wireless router and use the wired connection into the WAN port on my wireless router, I can't get back out to the internet. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

SWardCo

Ok with two routers, comes two DHCP servers, and that's a bad thing. You've got a conflict between the two, which is however an easy thing to fix.

First what you want to do is unplug the wireless router completely from the other router and the internet, and just plug it into one of your computers. Log into the web based control panel (or use software if provided), and disable DHCP, and disable any firewall that might be turned on. You probably logged into the control panel by using the private IP address of 192.168.0.1. However that is also the same IP of your wired router. So make sure you change your wireless router's IP to 192.168.0.2. Make sure it's on the same subnet as your current network (that shouldn't need to be changed but I thought I should mention it just in case). Now plug an ethernet cable into any port (1-6) from your first router, and plug it in the first port of your wireless router. Not the WAN port, but the first port. If working correctly you should be able to login to both routers, since you changed the wireless control panel access to 2.

That should get your wireless side of the network up and running. May I suggest that you enable MAC address filtering, turn SSID broadcast off, and also enable WPA (Wifi Protected Access I believe is what it stands for). Never can be too careful ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom